Salvage Yard 10-Bolt Differentials?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey y'all, I have a local pick-n-pull salvage yard that has a pretty good turn over of vehicles and the prices are dirt cheap. Even better, if you go on a holiday, the prices at 40% off!!! (complete rear axle end to end is $62 = SCORE!!!)

I've done well there in the past for my other project vehicles over the years, but before I go this weekend, I wanted to get some thoughts.

First off, I want to say, I have no idea what type of differential is in my K10. I haven't checked it by lifting it and spinning wheels, I haven't opened the diff cover, and my RPO code stickers are long since gone. I have done a burnout in the gravel and it sure felt like only one wheel spinning...maybe I'll try that again this evening! LOL

When I do go to the yard on Saturday, I want to look, among other things, for differential upgrades. Ideally, I'd like to try to find a locker that I can swap in, but I am flexible.
- What can I look for?
- Are there subtle tell-tale signs from the outside?
- Are there newer GM model trucks that I should look for to swap a LSD or locking differential from?

I'm willing to get the whole axle and take what I need from it. No guts, no grease, no glory!!!

Thanks for the advice for the newbie over here!

Pics of my diff for spits & grins:

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The problem is there's really nothing to look for that is better unless you just want to change the gear ratio. All the newer 10 bolts still use the problematic Gov-Loc.

Are you dead set on keeping the 10 bolt?

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The problem is there's really nothing to look for that is better unless you just want to change the gear ratio. All the newer 10 bolts still use the problematic Gov-Loc.

Are you dead set on keeping the 10 bolt?

Well, given that I can't figure out what I have, since the axle code is confusing, I don't even know if I have anything other than a fully open differential in either the front or the rear.

When I go tomorrow, I'll look around. Doing some digging around on the web I've seen that the F-Body Camaro's come with an Auburn unit. I believe the yard has at least one of those.

As for the Gov-lok units, I've seen the nay-sayers and the results of abuse and torture. This won't be a serious off-roading rig, but something I need to get me to work on a snowy day, or having a little fun here and there, etc. If I have to go with a Gov-lok unit until I can get something better, so be it...something is better than nothing, right?

I'll be sure to report back after the hunt tomorrow.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Don't the F-body cars run a smaller version of the 10 bolt?

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't the F-body cars run a smaller version of the 10 bolt?

Great catch. They do...they run the 7.625 in 10-bolt.

Ok, back to searching.

I wish there was an easy index on the web somewhere if what limited slips were offered in which cars over the years. I've looked but I can't find it yet.

Mike

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
At the yard, no way to tell for sure without popping the cover off. I would skip any G80s, and if you got time to kill just check as many as you can and see if anyone put an Eaton, Detroit or Loc-Rite in one.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Great catch. They do...they run the 7.625 in 10-bolt.

Ok, back to searching.

I wish there was an easy index on the web somewhere if what limited slips were offered in which cars over the years. I've looked but I can't find it yet.

Mike

Early 70's had the 8.5 10 bolt and novas

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As for the Gov-lok units, I've seen the nay-sayers and the results of abuse and torture. This won't be a serious off-roading rig, but something I need to get me to work on a snowy day, or having a little fun here and there, etc. If I have to go with a Gov-lok unit until I can get something better, so be it...something is better than nothing, right?

I'll be sure to report back after the hunt tomorrow.

I've seen more than a few of them blow up in stock 1/2 ton Burbs being driven by soccer moms. That's no joke or exaggeration either. Only the full-float 14 bolt Govloc seems to be decent.

So, something is not always better than nothing. If the Govloc happens to pop, it's parts can easily get lodged in bad places and then- kablooey. Or, sometimes they just fail and it's just an open diff. Depends on your luck really.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wouldn't ignore "all G80" rears-for example, I found a nice score on a 2001 S10 ZR2 pickup G80 rear. Limited slip, 3.73 geared Eaton unit w/disc brakes and they are an 8.5 ring gear too. If you want to go with a passenger car, LT1 Roadmaster wagons used a 3.73 limited slip auburn unit w/11" drums, and LT1 Caprice wagons (and 9C1 police package sedans) used a 3.42 Eaton and both cars used the HD 8.5 also-Caprice wagons and Buick wagons got drum brakes while the 9C1 and the 94-97 Impala SS got disc brakes.

So depending on what you find and are at least creative with a torch/grinder and welder you can find a decent rear end for not a lot of cash.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wouldn't ignore "all G80" rears-for example, I found a nice score on a 2001 S10 ZR2 pickup G80 rear. Limited slip, 3.73 geared Eaton unit w/disc brakes and they are an 8.5 ring gear too. If you want to go with a passenger car, LT1 Roadmaster wagons used a 3.73 limited slip auburn unit w/11" drums, and LT1 Caprice wagons (and 9C1 police package sedans) used a 3.42 Eaton and both cars used the HD 8.5 also-Caprice wagons and Buick wagons got drum brakes while the 9C1 and the 94-97 Impala SS got disc brakes.

So depending on what you find and are at least creative with a torch/grinder and welder you can find a decent rear end for not a lot of cash.

I always forget about the ZR2 axle. And the B-body wagons... but they are rare as hens teeth in the yards that I've ever been too.

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So yesterday was a decent day at the yard. Between us, I could spend the whole day at the yard just wandering around, looking at the cars that come in, thinking about the stories each one has, and looking for unique bits here and there.

After digging around I found a few G80 trucks. I thought, what the hell, let me pull one and if I pull my diff cover and find an open diff, maybe I'll put it in. Honestly though, I plan to keep an eye on the inventory that comes in to the yard and if something better comes in (such as the Caprice or Roadmaster models mentioned earlier), I will be back down to pull the unit from there. I can always putt this G80 on Craigslist or elsewhere and sell it. I've watched more than a few go quickly online lately. I seriously respect the feedback from you guys and your experience! Please don't take anything I say with disrespect!

I also picked up a couple late model mufflers to replace the louder than hell Series 40 Flowmasters that dump right below the bed. Are they good units, yeah, but the drone is a little too much for me. I'll tuck them away in the shed and and maybe I'll put them back on one day, but for now, so my wife and neighbors don't kill me or push my truck into the Bay, I'll quiet it down for now!

Not a bad day in the yard...

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man