Sad Discovery: GM 10 Bolt Fails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Thanks @Blue Ox and @Buck69 , I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I have had three different friends give me three different pieces of advice so far. I would like this rear end to last a while Longer in the future and whatever work I do will hopefully help that possibility.
I don’t plan to wheel this truck super hard, but I do like the idea of added durability for whatever comes my way. As with everything else when he doesn’t grow on trees, and we have a pretty tight budget around the farm here at the moment.
FWIW, I completely rebuild my 12 bolt a few years back, only reused the housing itself. It took me a long long time. Probably a month, and at least 20 attempts of putting together and taking it back apart to try to get the backlash and preload right. It cost a bit of money as well, by the time all the parts and tools were purchased.

Where in AZ are you?

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
That's why many of those trucks had a extra load sensing proportioning valve linked to the rear axle. They're not available anymore, but if you can't find a serviceable used one you could probably add a manual adjustable valve for when you're running unloaded.
Honestly don't remember it all. Don't believe that valve was in that truck and it was only a year and a half old when I grabbed it.
I do remember the shoes were larger in diameter but a fair bit narrower with the replacement axel. A lot more grab than it was meant to have leaving the factory.
Anyway, thrashing on these trucks as a young punk taught me lots with the wrenches. Miss them days and maybe has a bit to do with me getting back into them.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
FWIW, I completely rebuild my 12 bolt a few years back, only reused the housing itself. It took me a long long time. Probably a month, and at least 20 attempts of putting together and taking it back apart to try to get the backlash and preload right. It cost a bit of money as well, by the time all the parts and tools were purchased.

Where in AZ are you?
Prescott, AZ

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's why many of those trucks had a extra load sensing proportioning valve linked to the rear axle. They're not available anymore, but if you can't find a serviceable used one you could probably add a manual adjustable valve for when you're running unloaded.
the one reason ABS really helps in modern trucks is the ability to have DRP for the rear brakes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli