Rusty Rallies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looking for some advice on a rust converting primer for some rallies.

The one on the left has been ran through a steel shot machine and I want to keep the rust from getting worse and paint them silver again.

What should I get to stop the rust and accept paint over it?

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I sand blasted mine and painted with rustoleum primer and black paint. Came out nice and i don't think they will rust again.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Ospho after brushing/scuffing them smooth. Or you can try naval jelly.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, they didn't get perfect but cleaned up pretty good and have them in primer now.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So what did you do to them?
Before they were primed we ran them in a steel shot machine. It's a machine with a basket that rolls like a rotisserie inside a machine that fires steel shot around in there. Sort of like a sand blaster but instead of sand or whatever it uses steel shot like what you have in a shotgun shell. He has a starter and alternator rebuilding business and has that tool at his disposal. We tried sand/crushed glass in a cabinet blaster but it wasn't cutting it.

It broke off most the big stuff but the rust damage is still visible up close. I looked all over locally for argent silver and didn't find any. I tried a wheel paint in the color "steel" but I think it's too silver.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Before they were primed we ran them in a steel shot machine. It's a machine with a basket that rolls like a rotisserie inside a machine that fires steel shot around in there. Sort of like a sand blaster but instead of sand or whatever it uses steel shot like what you have in a shotgun shell. He has a starter and alternator rebuilding business and has that tool at his disposal. We tried sand/crushed glass in a cabinet blaster but it wasn't cutting it.

It broke off most the big stuff but the rust damage is still visible up close. I looked all over locally for argent silver and didn't find any. I tried a wheel paint in the color "steel" but I think it's too silver.

10-4. That's pretty cool.
I was just looking at options for mine. I dont think, for me, that's one of my options. Ha..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
10-4. That's pretty cool.
I was just looking at options for mine. I dont think, for me, that's one of my options. Ha..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

They are by no means perfect and the pics make them look better than they are. The sand blaster was doing a better job of it but it was so time consuming and required someone to actively be spraying them with sand. The shot machine had a timer so we just tossed them in there one at a time and set it to tumble for a while.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Nice that you get to use a sandblaster!! I have two of mines stripped down and primered and I'm currently working on the other two. This is doing it by hand with a drill and abrasive wheels. Hope it comes out good with all this labor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk