Runs out of fuel…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 SWB
Engine Size
305”
I removed the ESC.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
?????......a challenge? If so, accepted, but I do need to know what game you want to play!! Chess, Checkers, Backgammon? I merely was stating my opinion, admittedly somewhat sarcastically, of the world renowned piece of **** commonly referred to as the Q-Jet. I am not a Self Proclaimed "Professional" as many on here are, just merely a guy with a big ass square with a big ass motor sporting a Holley Carb which hasn't given me a hiccup in over 11 years! Seems those with Q-Jets spend more time trying to fix problems than driving their vehicle. I enjoy driving mine instead of constantly fixing carb problems!!! Always brings a grin when I see a new thread involving a Q-Jet and all the wah, wah, wah. So when the next thread pops up, which it will, I will have another smart ass remark to make concerning the Q-Jet. Such is Life!!!!
Oh I thought you were starting the challenge . lmao I never have problems with any carbs, but I know how to work on them. Q jet just happens to be my favorite. I also think way to many people blame the carburetor before finding out what the real problem was. My car ran like crap with the old carburetor so I put on brand x carburetor it still has no compression in 2 cylinders and this new carbureator doesn't work right either.

Btw I did laugh when I read your response. Bravo!

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have been “messing” with it for years.

I rebuilt the carburetor, installed a new distributor, installed a new starter, and replaced the fuel pump, pretty much at the same time.

when I wasn’t getting fuel, I took it to a shop. They replace the brand new fuel pump with another new one. I drove it home. A couple days later, it wouldn’t start no matter what I did. I took it back to the mechanics and they replaced the fuel pump again saying the new fuel pump was bad.

I drove it home. I drove it several times (over 20 miles).

It sat for a few days and then wouldn’t start. I primed the air cleaner and it started. When I tried to drive to the store, it would only let me use up to 1/4 throttle or it would die. I got it home babying the throttle.

…and here we are.
Are you seeing a pattern? Fuel pump,another fuel pump,another fuel pump,another fuel pump. Now test pressure and volume if they are incorrect I bet your pump lobe is going flat. Meaning you can put 500 more fuel pumps on it and you are still going to have a problem.Proper fix,new camshaft,bandaid fix,electric fuel pump,a good one not a cheap one ,installed correctly.Then move the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum and time it correctly. There is no written timing for your combination, but that's a battle for another day. Check fuel pump pressure and volume.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Ok

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Buy or borrow a fuel pump pressure tester,do you have a vacuum gauge? Many vacuum gauges will test fuel pump pressure.I didn't say put a pump on it,I said if the pump lobe is flat the bandaid fix is an electric pump. First determine what's wrong. Second attempt to fix it. What you are saying makes absolutely no sense,so I'm going back to why you have changed the fuel pump 37 times and seeing if we fix that problem if the other problem doesn't go away also. There is nothing I can think of that will magically make the Carburetor bowl instantly empty when you shift to second.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What do you suggest as a “good”electric fuel pump?

I still don’t see how that is going to fix the problem of it dying, as soon as it shifts into Second gear.

but before I do that, I have to figure out how I am supposed to measure the fuel pressure.

does the engine rpm drop when shifting into 2nd?
;)

mechanical fuel pump is suddenly being jacked by the pump lobe on the cam LESS than at the top of 1st gear.

good luck

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Will ya lookit here! So many replies since pictures ! Buncha eyeballs here now. :)

Don't they got a gooder fuel pump pushrod? Certainly they are sold in varying lengths...if the lobe really IS worn, you could put a longer fuel pump pushrod in it, yes?

;) it's a good idea no?
That must be what it is if you maintain spark after it quits. It ends up vapor locking itself - pumpin air.

MOROSO 65752 FUEL PUMP PUSH ROD .200" LONGER
Brand New
$31.99

You must be registered for see images attach

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Thank you…

Last edited:

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Thank you…

Last edited:

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Thank you…

Last edited:

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Ok

Last edited:

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do you have the fuel tank vent hooked up, ?

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Ok

Last edited:

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
The charcoal filter has been disconnected all but The vent.

vapor recovery has been plugged off.

When the truck was in the shop, Mechanics said that is very common and would not affect anything.

he said vapor recovery is not necessary. I checked with several other professional shops and they told me the same thing.

also, there is no vacuum hiss, when I remove the gas cap, so I don’t think there’s any pressure lock preventing fuel from getting into the fuel line.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84