Runs out of fuel…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Volume cranking with starter, disconnect power to distributor. Crank 30 seconds you should have approximately 3/4 cup of fuel. For your pressure test I forgot you have 3 line pump.1 of those is a bypass return. So your gauge is going to jump up but not hold so watch the gauge while you are cranking

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I can only work on it on the weekends.

working on vehicles is a lease violation where I live.

The manager lives 80 miles away and doesn’t come around on the weekends, so I chance it when the week is over.

Fuel pressure and volume test is next.

I just have to wait till Saturday.
Lease violation? What?

And I see your location is Alaska...makes even less sense.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 SWB
Engine Size
305”
It is against my apartment rental lease to work on a vehicle in the parking lot.

what about that doesn’t make sense to you?

And what does Alaska have to do with it not making sense?

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Pretty standard for almost any lease I've ever seen or signed in multiple states... including Texas. Not sure why you would think an apartment manager in Alaska would want people working on their cars in their parking lot more than one in any other state. Generally I have found it is more about them wanting the legal ability to remove problems, rather than keeping you from being able to do basic items... but YMMV.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
I started to do the fuel volume test.

I disconnected the steel fuel line from the carburetor & clamped a fuel hose to it. With ignition switched off, I cranked it for about 10 seconds before I noticed 2 problems, already.

1) there was no fuel coming out, so I suppose it may be bleeding back through the pump somehow.

2) I couldn’t even just keep cranking until I did get fuel, because the battery started to die.

I put the battery on my trickle charger.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I started to do the fuel volume test.

I disconnected the steel fuel line from the carburetor & clamped a fuel hose to it. With ignition switched off, I cranked it for about 10 seconds before I noticed 2 problems, already.
1) there was no fuel coming out, so I suppose it may be bleeding back through the pump somehow.

2) I couldn’t even just keep cranking until I did get fuel, because the battery started to die.

I put the battery on my trickle charger.

Or your pump lobe has worn off and you are not getting sufficient fuel. Pinch the return line shut and see what happens. I think the pump lobe is worn out.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
After all the tests are done, and assuming you are right, I assume the only fix is a new cam or an electric fuel pump?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
After all the tests are done, and assuming you are right, I assume the only fix is a new cam or an electric fuel pump?

Yep. Check Summit or jegs for a pump,if you go that route.You will want to mount it back by the tank,because pumps push better than they pull.Seriously I learned my lesson buying an electric pump from Rockauto. Go to Summit.You will also want a relay to switch your pump on and off I'd trigger it with oil pressure,so the pump only runs if the engines running.Prefered method would be put a cam in it 2 good things happen 1 you get to pick a cam 2 your fuel pump works. My preference would be a gm 929 equivalent.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Fuel volume test done.

30 seconds of cranking just to get fuel out of the hose.

Once fuel was flowing, cranked for another 30 seconds & barely any fuel at all..!

I would say less than 1/2 ounce.

…and it damn near killed my battery.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pull the pump and pump plate. Push the pushrod in with your index finger and crank with a remote switch.Ill bet your pushrod barely moves, I could get you a measurement but I don't think it's necessary.Now you know why I kept saying check fuel pump pressure and volume.Im glad you did.

Last edited:
Reactions: WFO

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
At the local auto parts store, I can get a Holly Red (7 lb) $170. or a Edelbrock (4 lb - 7 lb) $80.

I hear good things about the Holly Red, except that they’re noisy.

I don’t think either one comes with a regulator.

And I’m also not sure about whether they have check valves.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
At the local auto parts store, I can get a Holly Red (7 lb) $170. or a Edelbrock (4 lb - 7 lb) $80.

I hear good things about the Holly Red, except that they’re noisy.

I don’t think either one comes with a regulator.

And I’m also not sure about whether they have check valves.

I'd look at summit. Isn't the edelbrock identical to the Mr Gasket? If so I'd pass. You won't need a regulator you will need a wix 33041 or 040 fuel filter whichever one has the correct size lines for your truck.I think it's 33041 but double check. Before all the commente start when I put the brand new from O'Reilly Mr. Gasket pump on my suburban,I drove frome home to blue springs Mussouri,about 70 miles and it died on the road.I called Mr Gasket and told them and they told me they didn't recommend that I try to use that pump for a 350 4 bbl . So I took their advice and didn't try again.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
Summit sells the same Holley Red pump, for $25. less, but it takes weeks for me to get anything from Summit, up here. Having it tomorrow is worth the extra $25.

Everything else Summit sells has too much pressure.

I have a Ford starter relay, installed by the previous (tweaker) owner, that he used to power my lights, but I rewired that properly and removed the relay. I can use that.

… and you said to wire the pump to the oil pressure sending unit?

That’s where GM wired the electric choke, and choke dash light, as a feedback circuit.

Are you suggesting I wire it to the same source?

Wouldn’t that mess with my choke circuit?

not arguing…. Just asking.

maybe the relay takes care of that problem. I can’t remember.

It’s been 34 years since I took “automotive electrics” in college. It’s difficult to remember some of those things.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Summit sells the same Holley Red pump, for $25. less, but it takes weeks for me to get anything from Summit, up here. Having it tomorrow is worth the extra $25.

Everything else Summit sells has too much pressure.

I have a Ford starter relay, installed by the previous (tweaker) owner, that he used to power my lights, but I rewired that properly and removed the relay. I can use that.

… and you said to wire the pump to the oil pressure sending unit?

That’s where GM wired the electric choke.

Are you suggesting I wire it to the same source?

Wouldn’t that mess with my choke circuit?

not arguing…. Just asking.

Disconnect the wire at the sending unit,verify it is open with engine off grounded with engine running. If so use it as the ground for the relay.You can use it to ground multiple relays with out affecting anything.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
305”
I’ll look into the filter.

Does the one you suggested have a check valve or do I need one of those additionally?

…and speaking of check valves, I can’t find one of those little green check valve that goes in the distributor vacuum line.

i’m not sure if check valve is the right term. I think it supposed to keep the vacuum constant or delay the drop or something. I just know the original one was this little green and white disk thingy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128