Running ruff boy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok new tank sending new carb and intake just got it back from shop they told condensation so they drained and added dry gas and they couldnt keep her running i got it home drained and cleaned tank added 4 gallons of super and 2 things of water remover ethanol gummout crap drained they gas lines changed fuel filter new spark plugs and she still runs like **** i paid to get the timing done last week it did run fine im in the middle of rebuilding carb it had some crap and dirt in it i took gas lines off and blew air throught em and replacing one my sending unit has 3 lines coming out one line goes to fuel pump one one next to it and one line goes to air system but i dont have it hooked up anymore should i get a pump with one less line ? Im also going to replace spark plug wires does anyone have a something else i can try to make her run normal?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok new tank sending new carb and intake just got it back from shop they told condensation so they drained and added dry gas and they couldnt keep her running i got it home drained and cleaned tank added 4 gallons of super and 2 things of water remover ethanol gummout crap drained they gas lines changed fuel filter new spark plugs and she still runs like **** i paid to get the timing done last week it did run fine im in the middle of rebuilding carb it had some crap and dirt in it i took gas lines off and blew air throught em and replacing one my sending unit has 3 lines coming out one line goes to fuel pump one one next to it and one line goes to air system but i dont have it hooked up anymore should i get a pump with one less line ? Im also going to replace spark plug wires does anyone have a something else i can try to make her run normal?
Wow...what were your grades like in school when you turned in a report written like that?

Anyways,
1st thing, Is your truck all stock, or modified?
Some of the 85-86 carburetors were computer controlled, Is yours?
The 3 fuel lines....the 3/8 line is the fuel feed to the pump, from the tank. The 5/16 line, that runs between the pump and tank, is the return line.
The 3rd line is the vent, it goes to the charcoal cannister up front.

We are pretty good at diagnosing through pictures, so post up some pics of the top of your engine, and we will take a gander.
Also, have you confirmed that the spark plug wires are corrctly placed and routed?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow...what were your grades like in school when you turned in a report written like that?

Anyways,
1st thing, Is your truck all stock, or modified?
Some of the 85-86 carburetors were computer controlled, Is yours?
The 3 fuel lines....the 3/8 line is the fuel feed to the pump, from the tank. The 5/16 line, that runs between the pump and tank, is the return line.
The 3rd line is the vent, it goes to the charcoal cannister up front.

We are pretty good at diagnosing through pictures, so post up some pics of the top of your engine, and we will take a gander.
Also, have you confirmed that the spark plug wires are corrctly placed and routed?

Sumbitch Jim !!! When did you beome our language & grammer critic??? :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: I know many of us here are pretty educated, some of us not so much, but even some of the ones that are talk lazy grammer on here since we're pretty laid back and informal. :roflbow::High 5:

Welcome Aboard.
As said above, and see how it's gonna run after you get the carb rebuilt. Be sure to post follow ups, and we'll help you get it figured out soon enough. :High 5:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Sumbitch Jim !!! When did you beome our language & grammer critic??? :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: I know many of us here are pretty educated, some of us not so much, but even some of the ones that are talk lazy grammer on here since we're pretty laid back and informal. :roflbow::High 5:

Welcome Aboard.
As said above, and see how it's gonna run after you get the carb rebuilt. Be sure to post follow ups, and we'll help you get it figured out soon enough. :High 5:

As a responsible adult, I refuse to keep my mouth shut about something that can have a negative effect later in someones life...LOL!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't mind him Gabe. We're pretty laid back around here. I just about have to take offense myself, because I know I have the ability to speak, type and write like a pro, but I've put much worse than that post up on this place. :rofl: Jim may not have been ****** right lately and is just a little uptight. Forgive him, he's actually an OK dude to have around and usually doesn't criticize grammar. Sumbish, now I feel like I need to turn my fuggin spell check on. :happy175:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, he's right....wifey doesnt feel much like having fun when she is pregnant.
Just Razzin ya, Gabe, and welcome to GMSB!
I hope we can figure out your truck!

Last edited:

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks best forum ever

Wow thank u all for getting back to me i will post some pics today i was surprised @ all the replies thank u all! the truck is mostly stock it has 305 with a 700r4 now it had a th350 and it went bad,the carb is an edelbrock 1406 and it has a performer intake i rebuilt it last night i changed i took all of the hoses off and replaced em i even took the fuel pump(the cell on side of motor) and cleaned it out and blew it out with air. i added another 4 gallons of 93 fuel (super) and octane booster to hopefuly burn off any water in tank and i bought new spark plug wires to go with new plugs. i put her back together and she fired right up last night i let her run for about 30 min and no sputter or misfire till i put her in drive this morning drove about a mile and sputter sputter dead! i think it may be the loops in the gas hoses from them being to long or the gas pump @ this stage but i think it could have something to do with the kickdown cable from this 700r4 not being installed properly is there any tranny damage or tranny trouble that could affect the perf of the motor? the distributor was also changed to an hei distr. and the wires are perfomance wires i have more to post and ask but ill get pics tonight and show u all to many new parts to list i even have some in the basement waiting to get installed

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...the carb is an edelbrock 1406...
Take the top off the carb and use a long pick like a piece of wire, coat hanger, etc, and a bucket with a little gas in it, and clean out the fuel inlet tube (where the fuel line connects). Rinse between digs, you may see a pile of black sand-looking crap come out. It is deisintegrating rubber fuel line, from higher ethanol gas.

While you have the top off, apply compressed air to the primary (front) jets, in the bottom of the carb. These are also the pathway for the idle air circuit and when it gets clogged it will run like ****, run hot, die, etc.

Lastly when you put the top back on put on a GOOD AC Delco fuel filter!! Not one of those glass "Cleanable" filters, they dont stop the black stuff from getting in your carb. Get 2 of them and put one in your glovebox.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
been trying to upload pics for like an hour now i give up it keeps telling me invalid file. went back to truck took the kinks out of line and theres no gas going to c thru filter in line filter from the mechanical fuel pump on side of motor she wont start i smell gas also it did run fine last night like i said sputtering came on when i put in drive im thinking about replacing fuel pump its about 4 years old i put a new gasket on the other day when i cleaned it out. should i clean carb again and try new pump is there another way for me troubleshoot this without having to spend some cash today im up to about $300 for the week my wifes going to blow the truck up she said id really like to know the easiest way to post pics

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
been trying to upload pics for like an hour now i give up it keeps telling me invalid file. went back to truck took the kinks out of line and theres no gas going to c thru filter in line filter from the mechanical fuel pump on side of motor she wont start i smell gas also it did run fine last night like i said sputtering came on when i put in drive im thinking about replacing fuel pump its about 4 years old i put a new gasket on the other day when i cleaned it out. should i clean carb again and try new pump is there another way for me troubleshoot this without having to spend some cash today im up to about $300 for the week my wifes going to blow the truck up she said id really like to know the easiest way to post pics

Pull the fuel line off the carb, and hold the line into a gas can, and have a buddy turn it over to see if it is pumping. Als, did you mess with the float in the carb?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That fuel pump test is OK if the fuel pump is way bad, but many times someone can do that test and looks good cuz it's free flowing, but then when it's trying to hold up to a little pressure against the needle and seat it's weak. So, also hold your thumb over the end of the line a bit while it's being cranked to mimic a little pressure and make sure you're getting the volume. Doesn't need much really for a carb.
Usually, float to high you will run out of fuel at higher rpm or steady cruising, float to low you'll have a flooding problem.
How about EGR valve? You still have one? It may be carboned up and hanging open a bit causing an internal vacuum leak that is undetectable with the normal ways of spraying fluids around your carb base and intake gaskets. That will usually affect idle or low rpm more than anything.
Next, how about ignition timing??? How did you time it??? Did you compensate for chain wear using a light or degreed timing light? Next, how about cam timing? How many miles on this motor? Is it possible to have jumped a tooth in the chain and the cam timing being off???

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Puker!

Ok i got her running it was a tear in my main feed to fuel pump on side of motor(305) now wat does it mean or usually mean when your tranny pukes fluid sometimes or atleast when it has fluid to puke fluid out the dipstick? Motor runs strong thank u all for helping im not sure why the truck was running rough before i can spell rough now

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
If there fluid coming out of the dipstick it sounds like its way over full