Rocker Panel Repair/Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
****, thanks man. :handshake:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Looking good..........:) I think by the end of the year, the forum is going to have a complete library of "how-to's" by the time you're done.....:roflbow:..Keep up the good work!

I think 89Sub is definitely the sites how-to guru :High 5:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think 89Sub is definitely the sites how-to guru :High 5:
It's team work, from every contributing member, be it posting or commenting, there is an electricity on this site man!!!! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Awesome !!! You'll be a rust repair, paint and body man before long. Giving me tons of confidence to do this body work myself. No offense whatsoever, but I kinda get the attitude, if you can do it, I damn sure can too. I have always been afraid of body work and not attempted much of it. I will be doing some rust repair myself. But, I am not buying metal. I'll be cutting it out of trucks that have the good metal and tack welding it in. I can't weld for ****, but I can tack weld. I have both a Lincoln arc stick welder and a cheap ass HF mig wire feed that should be good enough for body work. Not much more than body work, but nonetheless, that is what I bought it for, and got it on sale for $89 and used a 20% off coupon so it was cheap enough.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You know what PC, I really can't stand actual bondoing and sanding and finish painting. That **** is real intimidating to me, to make it come out nice. The sheet metal and panel work is more of a mechanical type of work that I can handle.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You got man boobs??? :roflbow:

No man boobs here :whymewhyme: Those are boobs of a hot coworker that I told to flash the screen for 89Sub to see..... :birgits_tiredcoffee

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You know what PC, I really can't stand actual bondoing and sanding and finish painting. That **** is real intimidating to me, to make it come out nice. The sheet metal and panel work is more of a mechanical type of work that I can handle.

This is when I wish you were closer man cuz I'd dig in and show you how to do that stuff and you wouldn't be intimidated by it anymore. It's time consuming but overall not hard at all and doing it yourself really isn't that expensive either. When you take it to a shop to do you're mainly paying for the labor because the materials are not really expensive at all. We could take what you've already done and finish it off really nice without much more effort at all, man!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is when I wish you were closer man cuz I'd dig in and show you how to do that stuff and you wouldn't be intimidated by it anymore. It's time consuming but overall not hard at all and doing it yourself really isn't that expensive either. When you take it to a shop to do you're mainly paying for the labor because the materials are not really expensive at all. We could take what you've already done and finish it off really nice without much more effort at all, man!
:sad72:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Bondo is easy if done this way: Never put more on it than you want to sand off. Meaning, it's better to do 4 skim coats, sanding between each, instead of one thick, lumpy, uneven coat that you have to sand on forever to take it back down and still need another couple coats to make it right. A drywall guy taught me this and it works good for auto body work too.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

It's not as hard as you think, like Crazy said do it a little at a time, you have been doing a great job of replacing the panels, you just need to take the next step, I know you would get good at it. look what you have done with just replacing panels.:High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Bondo is easy if done this way: Never put more on it than you want to sand off. Meaning, it's better to do 4 skim coats, sanding between each, instead of one thick, lumpy, uneven coat that you have to sand on forever to take it back down and still need another couple coats to make it right. A drywall guy taught me this and it works good for auto body work too.

^^x2

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
It's not as hard as you think, like Crazy said do it a little at a time, you have been doing a great job of replacing the panels, you just need to take the next step, I know you would get good at it. look what you have done with just replacing panels.:High 5:

All you gotta do is take one area at a time with your bondo and some metal glaze and sand it down real good to make it all smooth and prime over when done. Then move on to the next step. Easy as pie! :D

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't have the finesse for that ****, I am horrible spakling drywall too. I hate that ****.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't have the finesse for that ****, I am horrible spakling drywall too. I hate that ****.

I'm good at drywall mudding and bedding, just slow and neat about it. So I don't do it for a living, but I sure do my own. Whenever I move or buy a new house, first thing I do is gut the garage. Take all drywall off. Run power outltes, every 4 feet at workbench height, an outlet up high where a TV Shelf is built, Cable is brought in, phone jacks brought in, 220 outlets for compressor and welder installed, insulate with R13, then rehang drywall, tape, bed and texture. Hang Flourescent lighting at all 4 corners of the garage, shoot cellulose insualtion 12 inches deep in the attic, then purchase insulated garge doors at a later date. The good kind, double walled filled with foam like a referigerator door, not styrafoam with vinyl backing. Then usually add a vent or 2 from the CH&A depending on how big the unit is for the house with duct diverters if needed. Haven't insualted the door here at this house, and haven't added the heat and air vents yet either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128