Reverse light power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Looks good. I'm planning something like this on my burb but with a three way switch so I can have the lights off, turn on by the switch, or turn on automatically with the reverse trigger. That led probably makes a hell of a difference.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Looks good. I'm planning something like this on my burb but with a three way switch so I can have the lights off, turn on by the switch, or turn on automatically with the reverse trigger. That led probably makes a hell of a difference.
1200 lumens omfg it does lol i cheated it because i used a magnet mount to the underside of the hitch in case i have to remove it due to johnny law lol i needed that brightness to see through my 5% rear tint at night.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Yea some cops will nag you for that. Its not cheating if it helps you stay out of a ticket. Did you use connectors so you can just unplug and pull the magnet

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yea some cops will nag you for that. Its not cheating if it helps you stay out of a ticket. Did you use connectors so you can just unplug and pull the magnet
Yup, i cheated there to because the package came with a battery pack so you can see how bright it is and i nipped the wires at the battery pack behind the plug and used them as my pig tails lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Cool! Glad you had success with it!

SierraClassique

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
5.0L V8
i was going to add some auxiliary LED lights to come on when i go into reserve but was worried they would be too bright for other drivers in parking lots etc., so i added some auxiliary lights that i turn on with a switch. i don’t use them too often but a bonus is having the option to use them when fussing with a hitch or setting up a campsite.

all that said, i may still tap into the reverse wires, add some more auxiliary LEDs, and just aim them pretty far down so they aren’t blinding to others- we’ll see…

my jimmy is both my daily driver and hunting/camping rig, so have to find a balance on practicality vs. overkill.

Attachments

• IMG_0345 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0345 Copy.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0346 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0346 Copy.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i was going to add some auxiliary LED lights to come on when i go into reserve but was worried they would be too bright for other drivers in parking lots etc., so i added some auxiliary lights that i turn on with a switch. i don’t use them too often but a bonus is having the option to use them when fussing with a hitch or setting up a campsite.

all that said, i may still tap into the reverse wires, add some more auxiliary LEDs, and just aim them pretty far down so they aren’t blinding to others- we’ll see…

my jimmy is both my daily driver and hunting/camping rig, so have to find a balance on practicality vs. overkill.

You could run a 3-way switch. Then you would have your choice of ON whenever you wanted, or ON when in reverse, or OFF at all times.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
along this same line.

anyone know where the wire inside the cab is for the reverse lights? (putting in a floor shifter and need to add a reverse light switch. truck was a manual so no column shifter to pull it from)
Thinking Yours is on top of Transs.

SierraClassique

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
5.0L V8
You could run a 3-way switch. Then you would have your choice of ON whenever you wanted, or ON when in reverse, or OFF at all times.
looks like i have some research to do! thanks

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
On my 1980 GMC K15 manual 4-speed, I have the reverse switch out the left side of the trans, near the top/front. There are a pair of wires coming out, one green, one blue. Here they are from ST_352_80_1980_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Wiring_CK_10_30_Only.pdf:

You must be registered for see images attach

They are circuit 24 (light green, Back Up Lamp Feed), and circuit 75 (blue, Feed, Ign. Sw. "On and Crank" Controlled - Fused). They proceed to the firewall and enter the cab. In my case I can trace them to a spot on the steering column, and then they seem to disappear into the harness that comes from near the steering wheel down to the inside cab firewall.

On the next page ST_352_80_1980_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Wiring_CK_10_30_Only.pdf shows circuit 24 entering the cab (with 75), but then it splits off and exists the cab at the rear light system harness. It is one of 4 wires at that location (24 light green, 9 brown, 18 yellow, 19 dark green):

That same page shows circuit 75 proceeding on it's own inside the cab and terminating at the fuse block at the "FUSE - TURN, BACK UP LAMPS":

Can you please help me with a few questions?

1) When trans is in reverse, are reverse lights on only when ignition switch is in ON position or engine is running?

2) Does circuit 75 terminate in the back of the fuse block? Earlier in this thread @foamypirate showed a picture of the green/blue wires with a connector at the end. I don't know what vehicle that's from so I don't know if I should have the same connector on my truck. In his case the wires come out of the column... in my case the wires go into it, under wrap, and then I can't track them anymore.

3) If it doesn't terminate in the back of the fuse block, then where?

4) If it does terminate in the back of the fuse block, how can I use a multimeter to test if the trans switch and the wiring is good up to that point? Can I do that test without removing the fuse block?

I ask because I'm trying to diagnose non-responsive backup lights. I know there could be other problems as well, but right now I'm trying to diagnose only that part of the system described above.

Thanks,
Mark

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On my 1980 GMC K15 manual 4-speed, I have the reverse switch out the left side of the trans, near the top/front. There are a pair of wires coming out, one green, one blue. Here they are from ST_352_80_1980_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Wiring_CK_10_30_Only.pdf:

They are circuit 24 (light green, Back Up Lamp Feed), and circuit 75 (blue, Feed, Ign. Sw. "On and Crank" Controlled - Fused). They proceed to the firewall and enter the cab. In my case I can trace them to a spot on the steering column, and then they seem to disappear into the harness that comes from near the steering wheel down to the inside cab firewall.

On the next page ST_352_80_1980_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Wiring_CK_10_30_Only.pdf shows circuit 24 entering the cab (with 75), but then it splits off and exists the cab at the rear light system harness. It is one of 4 wires at that location (24 light green, 9 brown, 18 yellow, 19 dark green):

That same page shows circuit 75 proceeding on it's own inside the cab and terminating at the fuse block at the "FUSE - TURN, BACK UP LAMPS":

Can you please help me with a few questions?

1) When trans is in reverse, are reverse lights on only when ignition switch is in ON position or engine is running?

2) Does circuit 75 terminate in the back of the fuse block? Earlier in this thread @foamypirate showed a picture of the green/blue wires with a connector at the end. I don't know what vehicle that's from so I don't know if I should have the same connector on my truck. In his case the wires come out of the column... in my case the wires go into it, under wrap, and then I can't track them anymore.

3) If it doesn't terminate in the back of the fuse block, then where?

4) If it does terminate in the back of the fuse block, how can I use a multimeter to test if the trans switch and the wiring is good up to that point? Can I do that test without removing the fuse block?

I ask because I'm trying to diagnose non-responsive backup lights. I know there could be other problems as well, but right now I'm trying to diagnose only that part of the system described above.

Thanks,
Mark

my reverse lights (same year, same trans) work key on and engine running in reverse.
My wiring is just kinda.. hanging in the air under my make shift floor panel(i dont have a floor) and those wires you mention are probably included in th

are these the wires you were talking about?

this is what i meant btw lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara