RETRO-Mod: Intermittent wipers in your 1976?-83 squarebody

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JROC's Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 Silverado
Engine Size
Wiper switch

I noticed you have a wiper switch in the dash and on your blinker switch in your steering colum. Are both of those operational? I have that setup in my 1979 c-10, is that factory or an updated blinker switch? I would like to have mine with a plain ole blinker switch with the windshield wiper switch in the dash. Any help with this would be great.

JROC's Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 Silverado
Engine Size
blinker/wiper issue

Hello guys, I have a issue with my blinker and wiper switch. My truck has the wiper switch in the dash. http://imgur.com/wWPTDkd It also has a wiper function on the blinker in the steering column. http://imgur.com/FnY0xUb It would be number 3 part in diagram which is attached to this part inside the column http://imgur.com/cS4vgxH. The blinker switch looks like this http://imgur.com/4oIX1aq. Ok thats the parts in the truck right now. I went to tear the steering colum down and found: The part connected to part 3 stated above was not plugged into anything. The blinker switch plug at the base of the steering column has 10 connecters(male end) but the(female end) coming from truck wiring harness has 8 connectors which leaves out the green and tan wires seen in picture above. Ok, all I would like to do is have only blinkers on the column and leave the windshield washers in the dash. I have ordered these parts: http://imgur.com/lFtyQE4 & http://imgur.com/lLbFxEa part #1 and it comes minus the green and tan wires. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :truck:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Your 79 came with the wipers on the dash. It sounds like someone put a steering column in from a newer (83-87 I think ) truck. The wires from the switch in the dash should go to the the same color wires on the wiper motor with the exception of the white wire where it has two on the motor into one at the switch. I'm not positive about the colors I did this setup on a bench to a wiper motor clamped in a vice because I have a 74 and wanted intermittent wipers and that was not an option in 74. I had to get all the wiper stuff from a 78 or 79 ( don't remember) and figure out the wiring. I can set it back up and take pictures but it will be a few weeks.

The only difference between intermittent and non is the relay box between the motor and wiper switch. Going from non to intermittent is plug and play.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
I put a newer tilt column into my 82, with wiper and dimmer. Installing the intermittent module just required plugging it in between the column plug for the wipers and the wiring harness plug that went to the original dash wiper switch. (If only GM had used that sort of common sense for the three different gauge clusters!)

The column went in like it was made for the pre-tilt-availability truck. No mods, direct bolt in. Did take me a bit to find a GMC horn button for the 4 spoke sport steering wheel.

I don't recall if I had to cut and extend the dash harness wires. The module fit onto the hook on the column mount, behind the metal cover under the column.

Slick_james187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban c10
Engine Size
454, 7.4L
It's '78 to '83. It can be used in the '77 and older, but you have to open up the hole in the dash, drill a couple holes, install a newer style wiper motor, and change some wiring around, as well as run a new wire.

I added this setup to my '77. It had delay to begin with, but the parts were junk and seemed impossible to find. The swap was worth the trouble IMHO.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I got a 77 with factory pulse wipers that took a dump. Remember how you wired this up by chance?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I got a 77 with factory pulse wipers that took a dump. Remember how you wired this up by chance?

I vaguely remember what I did, but don't remember the wire colors. At some point in the last year or so I remember looking at it again and posting what I had done in a thread around here. A fella was trying to do the same swap and was not having any luck.

Slick_james187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban c10
Engine Size
454, 7.4L
Yeah, the switch fell apart and you cant find them lol. I think im just going to wire up a standard switch and call it good, dont really need the pulse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, the switch fell apart and you cant find them lol. I think im just going to wire up a standard switch and call it good, dont really need the pulse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

IIRC, you simply unplug the delay box harness and wiper switch from the dash harness, then plug the standard wiper switch right into the dash harness.

I gave away my '77 switch, lol. My delay box was bad and my wiper motor wouldn't park on it's own.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size