RETRO-Mod: Intermittent wipers in your 1976?-83 squarebody

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Difficulty = 1 (1-10, 10/hardest)

What you will need:

Delay wiper switch and module
No 2 phillips screwdriver
8mm or 5/16 socket or nut driver
About 20 minutes

First thing is getting a switch and module, you may get lucky and find one in a truck already or you may have to resort to ebay as i see them NOS or used once in awhile or I believe LMC carries the switch but not the module. Later modules WILL NOT work. You might look in a GM made before 1984 like a Cadillac or Buick for a module that may work. I can't guarantee that it will be the same. Here is a pic of the truck module.

You must be registered for see images attach

To get it out, take the phillips screwdriver and remove the 4 screws holding the bottom trim plate under the steering column.

Then remove the 8 phillips screws holding the cluster bezel on and carefully remove it. You may want to put on the e-brake and put the truck in first gear for get around the column shifter.

Then take your 5/16s (or 8mm) socket or nutdriver and remove the two screws holding the wiper switch in.

It is completely plug and play. Let me know if other years are different, i got this from a 1981 truck and put it in a 1981 truck.

Test switch in your truck to make sure it's working and installation is the reverse of removal. And now you have intermittent wipers in your square.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Its alot smaller than the one from an 84-87

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's '78 to '83. It can be used in the '77 and older, but you have to open up the hole in the dash, drill a couple holes, install a newer style wiper motor, and change some wiring around, as well as run a new wire.

I added this setup to my '77. It had delay to begin with, but the parts were junk and seemed impossible to find. The swap was worth the trouble IMHO.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice job bro.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:popcorn:

rainyraven

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 cheyenne
Engine Size
Just found these parts today at my local you pick it.. :) going to put them in soon
nice write up :)

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Bringing this back from the archive. I want to do this to my 1974. I know the wiring is different so I am looking for a good wiring diagram of the intermittent wipers for the 79-83 setup.

If I understand correctly I will need the switch, module, wiring with connectors and the wiper motor. If I am leaving somthing out please let me know.

If anyone out there has all of the above componets and wants to part with them and ship them to 29445 PM me with the price and we will take it from there.

If anyone comes across them in their salvage yard search and wants to pick them up for me I will pay the cost plus an extra few bucks for your trouble.

Thanks
Robert

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I looked into this since some time has passed since Retro did the write up. In regards to the switch and module, a new switch can be had from LMC or Classic Industries, $30 from either. It looks like Classic ALSO carries the module. It is not cheap, $136, but if you are having a hard time finding a good used one, this might be a good route to go. I will get links up when I have more time, and we can also determine if the said module is actually correct.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bringing this back from the archive. I want to do this to my 1974. I know the wiring is different so I am looking for a good wiring diagram of the intermittent wipers for the 79-83 setup.

If I understand correctly I will need the switch, module, wiring with connectors and the wiper motor. If I am leaving somthing out please let me know.

If anyone out there has all of the above componets and wants to part with them and ship them to 29445 PM me with the price and we will take it from there.

If anyone comes across them in their salvage yard search and wants to pick them up for me I will pay the cost plus an extra few bucks for your trouble.

Thanks
Robert

I have all of the diagrams and swap info saved somewhere, I'll look around for it. New rebuilt wiper motor assemblies are cheap, I would not mess around with an old used one. You do need to get one from the junkyard though, you need it for the core charge, the link arm and the wire pigtails.

1774btcrew

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crew Cab Short Bed
Engine Size
3.9 Cummins Diesel
Any updates on this? I have the really rare 77 only set up but want to go with 78-83 for ease of finding parts. The wiring is not my strong point.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I got all the parts I need and am looking at/for wiring diagrams when I get a chance I am going to bench test it and then put it in the truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sorry guys, I forgot to look for my info. I did the swap and saved the info for every step.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400