replacing 12 bolt 4 series carrier with 3 series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mclayn2002

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4 bolt
I am attempting to replace a 4 series carrier with a three series carrier. The 4 series is a posi/limted slip and the 3 series is an open carrier. Is it possible to take the posi guts from the 4 and put it into the 3 series without modification? Both carriers are stock 12 bolt truck carriers. My end goal is to have a 12 bolt limited slip with 3:42 gears if anyone is wondering why i want to go from a 4 to a 3 series. Thanks in adavance for the help and expertise.

mclayn2002

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4 bolt
Anyone? Something please.

bdiamond

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
I believe you can get 3.42 gears that will fit a 4 series carrier.
The guts won't interchange between the two carriers.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
were not talking about a g80 gov lock are we? cause that would be a waste of time and effort.

mclayn2002

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4 bolt
Please elaborate why a gov lock is a bad idea? I'm merely curious as I have no experience in this.

BowTieJockey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Depending on what your using the truck for the gov lock could be good or bad.

The reason why people don't like the g80 is because they are prone to break when heavy in the throttle off road.

The g80 is an open diff until it senses one tire going faster than the other it grabs both axles at whatever speed your going and then shatters under the load.

If your using it for daily driving it would be somewhat worth it.

Now with you trying to put the different series carrier on different series gear just to gain the g80 in my eyes isn't worth it because of the trouble you have to go through but thats just my opinion.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The G80 is supposed to only function at less then 20mph I think its 25 kmh actually

The Detroit True Trac is about $700 and has its own carrier just bolt your ring gear to it with new carrier bearings set your back lash and be done.

It will give you limited slip at all speeds and is as tuff as it gets for a limited slip. It works beutifully

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The gov bomb will go bad if you like to do right turn burn outs :-( for regular street use it is fine. Like if you get stuck in some mud or mild off road...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

mclayn2002

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4 bolt
Just looking for a good cheap way to get 3:42 under my 2wd 84 C10. Picked up a limited slip 12 bolt out of an late 70's truck but it came with 4:10. Picked up a cheap open 3 series on eBay and was hoping to combine them and make them work. Is there any year or model of truck that I can pull an axle from that would have 3:42 or 3:40 limited slip and would fit correctly under my truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli