New Carrier Gear Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now that I've driven the truck a few weeks without the Detroit locker there is NO WAY its going back in. I am going to purchase a Limited Slip Posi and install it myself. I've gone back and forth on keeping the SF axle in it and swapping the gears to 4:56 to match the front...or...keep the FF and swap the carrier and retaining the humongous brake drums (13 x 3.5) and weight of the axle. All in all, I think keeping the FF and just adding the posi is the most cost effective option.

With that said: Can I install a new carrier and reuse the existing ring & pinion gears? I believe the setup on the FF is fairly easy, since it doesn't use crush sleeves or side shims. Getting the gear pattern back to "stock" should be achievable, I think?

What say yall?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yes, you can install used gears on a different carrier but they should be patterned and checked for backlash. Basically they need to be set up like new gears

ETA: There may be more to it than that I know some gear sets only work with specific carriers based on the thickness of the ring gear.

Last edited:

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
It's been said that it is very important to set the new pattern exactly same as the original pattern to reduce wear and noise.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have used junkyard gear sets in different axles, as long as the ring and pinion are kept together.
As well I have reused the new set I bought and ran for 5 years.

Like the others have said, they just need to be set back up like they were new.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Next question, regarding the brakes. Since discs with "useful" parking brake options are not feasible, I am entertaining swapping the 13 x 3.5 drums and hardware with the narrower 13 x 2.5 version. I'd wait until I need new shoes but I want to be prepared.

So, anybody know if it's a direct swap except of course drums, shoes and possibly backing plate?

Why, you might ask? Parts are cheaper and less un-sprung weight. The difference in ride quality between the FF and SF is remarkable to me. If I don't need the overkill pieces, I'd rather not carry around the extra weight.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Update: Received my new Spidey Gears from Summit. They look HUGE in the box! I'll be pulling the Detroit Bang Bang out this weekend. Should be easy-peasy. Throw in a new pinion seal while I'm at it and bend up some new brake lines with shielding. Pics will follow.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Update: Received my new Spidey Gears from Summit. They look HUGE in the box! I'll be pulling the Detroit Bang Bang out this weekend. Should be easy-peasy. Throw in a new pinion seal while I'm at it and bend up some new brake lines with shielding. Pics will follow.
get a crush sleeve eliminator kit while you are at it. They are something like $60 and you will need it if you break loose the pinion nut. Its all around a complete b!tch to mess with the crush sleeve on the pinion and it takes something like 5-600 ft-lbs to get it to start crushing. Most people use a press to get it started, and it REQUIRES most of a 20 ton press to do so. My 12 ton was not nearly enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike