Replacement Spring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mater08

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Im wanting to replace all the springs on my 84 so I have a fresh suspension. It used to be an old sheriffs truck. Currently the rear has a 4+1 spring pack and the front is just a 2 leaf pack. Goal is to keep the truck fairly stock, Im not really wanting to lift it but I wouldn't mind if it were a little taller so I can clear 33s with no issues, I also plan on towing my trailer and occasionally hauling heavier items. While looking at spring vendors I noticed that they offer a 6 plus 1 rear and even up to a 4 leaf front stock replacements. Question is if I were to go with a 6+1 in the rear for more weight in the rear what size should I go in the front. They offer a 2, 3, and 4 for the front. I was thinking 6+1 rear and 3 leaf front. I want to keep the truck somewhat level if not having a slight rake. Thanks in advance and keep on squaring! :metal:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
If it was me I would call up deaver springs and tell them you want all new soft ride springs 2" over stock and then air bag the back. That way you still have a good ride when unloaded.Really it does not matter the spring count it's more the spring rate , I have had 4 leaf packs that were stiffer than another brands in a 6 leaf pack. If you want to go cheap and dont care about your ride quality then just get 2" lift fronts and have your rears re arched with a add a leaf put in at a spring shop , they might make you a set of fronts as well. I have had the rears done like that in one of my square's , (re arched 4" with a add a leaf) and it rode like crap. Also the longer the spring the better the ride , but you will have to move your rear spring hanger to go that route.

Mater08

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Thank you Hirschdalechevy for the advice. The truck doesn't need springs right now I was just curious. Im getting it ready to start driving and Im the type of person that if Im going to do something I like to do it all at once (if I can). The front has a bad tierod end so I was just going to do springs, balljoints, and tierod ends all at the same time. But money got a lil tight...go figure. Do you know where Deaver Springs is located, are they a forum vendor?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
deavers main shop is in santa ana c.a. (714-542-3703) , but they have dealers in a lot of places. I dont think they are a vender here , but I am not sure.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Deaver isn't going to be the best option if you're on a budget now. I think the best option for the front is going to be 2-3 inch lift springs from BDS or Tuff Country. Both of those brands make springs that ride like the factory springs. Then just get stock replacement springs for the rear and a couple 3 inch blocks. Yeah I know, I said blocks, but they are just fine for most applications as long as the u-bolts are properly torqued and then checked again later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS