Replacement Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
No adapter harness available?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a retrosound radio (Hermosa, maybe?) and have not had any problems. They are all built in 3 or 4 pieces that you put together, and you can adjust it to fit just about any vehicle. However, I did not have an old radio to use for a template so it was a challenge to figure out back spacing, distance between the knobs, etc.

Just for those who have not seen the Retrosound design, there are four pieces that are connected with small cables that look like Cat6 cable.
- Radio body (all the main electronics)
- Radio face with the digital display and buttons
- Left and right knob assemblies

You can plug the display/face into the body with a short cord, and screw them together so its like a regular radio body. Or you can use a longer cable between them and mount the two separately. Separate mounting would allow you to mount the face/display on any flat surface and run the cable out the back to the radio body that was under the dash or seat. This might be useful in some hotrods.

The left and right knobs are also connected to the body with short cables. If you use the provided brackets you can mount the knobs right next to the body and get a form factor like a standard two shaft radio. You can use the brackets to adjust the spacing betwen the knobs and/or how far forward or back the knobs are relative to the body. However, you could also just drill a hole in the dash to mount the knobs, and mount the body somewhere else.

I found the Retrosound radio as a special buy on eBay and the price was too good to pass up. I think it may have been a sell-off from a dealer going out of business, since it did not seem to be a reconditioned or returned unit.

Bruce

bad neighbor

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Last edited:

bad neighbor

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Well got the new USA 230 installed. Went way better than I expected. The wiring harness adapter from Carid made it easy.
Special thank to CSFJ for getting me started on research for the harness adapter. Just didn't realize they made such a critter. Fit of the radio was great and looks very factory.
Sound is not too bad for being hooked up to 34 year old speakers.
Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azdivr