Replaced cluster lights with LEDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I should also mention that it was suggested to buy a no load flasher relay so the turn signals would work with LEDS. I tried it out without the no load flasher and with and mine worked the same both ways.

UPDATE: I went outside to get a picture of the hazards working to show how bright the green light is and when I pushed the hazard light in I got two steady green lights and no flashing WITH the no load relay I got with my LEDs. I plugged my old relay in and they started flashing like they should. Weird.

I'm pretty sure that the no load flasher is only necessary when you replace the front turns and the rear brake/turns with leds, not just the turn signals in the dash.

I've had no issue with my led dash lights (including turn signals) that has required the use of a new flasher.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Interior LED Lights

I replaced the interior lights with LEDS too. Suckers are BRIGHT lol

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 130

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Those interior lights are bright! This is a currently back listed project for me, I was planning on using either red or black light LEDs for the interior lights on the Suburban, maybe running the strip light LEDs down the headboard trim around the sides and cross piece. Definately doing the strip light under the hood for those nights when I find myself having to fiddle with something under there when I would rather be driving down the road.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
You can get the same ones on amazon for like 10 or 15 bucks. I just helped my buddies dad put them in his triumph's cluster and they are bright as hell

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I was tired of not being able to see squat when driving at night so I decided to pony up the cash for some LED bulbs in my instrument cluster. I am more than happy with the results. These lights are visible during the day! There was one spot where the LED bulb had trouble fitting. Also I had to insert the black plastic light holders into the socket and then add the bulb as they wouldn't fit through the back. I think they look pretty good. What do you guys and gals think?

I did an LED conversion on my instrument panel a while back, I used something similar to what you have. Within a month, a few stopped working. I came to find out that the LED's were slowly vibrating out of their sockets in the black plastic holders. They are much heavier and longer that the original bulbs. I'm gonna see if I can find some that are similar in size to the original bulbs, and get some new plastic twist holders.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If those work good, that is a heck of a price. Dimming them is still my biggest concern with going LED. I never run my DD's gauges at full brightness. Dim enough to see them, but not over bearing in my face here we are bright.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Got the dash back together. Waiting on it to get completely dark before I take a pic. Last night I did hook up a regular bulb and an led bulb and took measurements with a lumen meter at the same distance.

LED = 850 lumens
Bulb = 650 lumens

I took the reading directly in front, so it probably didn't included the light from the side lights on the led assembly. I'll update this post with a pic shortly.

UPDATE: This was at the highest setting on the dimmer. Please excuse the fuel gauge at the bottom left. Ran outta gas twice and that was the quickest/cheapest way to take care of it....2nd time I had a spare gallon of gas waiting. Anyway, with the exception of the fuel gauge, everything is LED. Dimming does work, not as sensitive as a regular bulb, but that my be my dimmer. The floor is also lit by LED (fiber optic cable that runs over there). I did use the white LED's as you can tell on the floor, but it's blue in the dash. I really think that's coming from the light blue on the back of the black cover that goes directly over the gauges? Editing again LOL, the light on the floor may be a separate bulb, the fiber may go over to the climate control? Straighten me out guys LOL.

Green I think you'll be fine with these. I personally like them a little brighter, so I'm going to pull it apart and either paint the back of that gauge cover white, or put some shiny ventilation tape on the back

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
LOL done editing.

Millblazer after going back to the first page, it appears I've got my work cut out. Obviously these bulbs are no where near what you have. I'm going to go straight to the reflective tape I mentioned above.

Last edited:

wilrab

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks really good!! This might be my next project. My instrument cluster is really dim.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Got the dash back together. Waiting on it to get completely dark before I take a pic. Last night I did hook up a regular bulb and an led bulb and took measurements with a lumen meter at the same distance.

LED = 850 lumens
Bulb = 650 lumens

I took the reading directly in front, so it probably didn't included the light from the side lights on the led assembly. I'll update this post with a pic shortly.

UPDATE: This was at the highest setting on the dimmer. Please excuse the fuel gauge at the bottom left. Ran outta gas twice and that was the quickest/cheapest way to take care of it....2nd time I had a spare gallon of gas waiting. Anyway, with the exception of the fuel gauge, everything is LED. Dimming does work, not as sensitive as a regular bulb, but that my be my dimmer. The floor is also lit by LED (fiber optic cable that runs over there). I did use the white LED's as you can tell on the floor, but it's blue in the dash. I really think that's coming from the light blue on the back of the black cover that goes directly over the gauges? Editing again LOL, the light on the floor may be a separate bulb, the fiber may go over to the climate control? Straighten me out guys LOL.

Green I think you'll be fine with these. I personally like them a little brighter, so I'm going to pull it apart and either paint the back of that gauge cover white, or put some shiny ventilation tape on the back

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Yeah I painted the back of mine white and it made a big difference. Looks good though. I need to get brighter LED's for mine.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I put LEDs on the back side of my bezel
I like it a lot more than them shining through

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Silver did you put those in the stock location? Or are you saying you put them elsewhere? Where did you get your bulbs?

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I've been working on other stuff...steering box movement, window regulator (starting to get warm outside), and shocks.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco