replace heater core or flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All: I've got my 89 3500 crew cab completely apart, and am about ready to start putting the whole thing back together. I was thinking that I'd go ahead and replace the heater core, as long as I had it apart. The heater worked ok before, but I have no idea how old the core is. (And if it matters, my truck has AC, though it doesn't work).

I see that it is possible to flush out a heater core. Would it be smarte to flush the core out and put it back, or do you think it would be dumb not to replace the heater core, as long as I've got the truck all apart? Looks like I'm gonna be about 70 bucks for a new copper heater core, and I'm trying to decide if that's $$ I can afford to not spend now, or if I'm gonna regret it later.

Aaron

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Really a crap shoot. What condition was the coolant? Do any of the heater box bolts appear to have ever been removed? Did it adequately heat before? Myself, I would replace it but that's me.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Really a crap shoot. What condition was the coolant? Do any of the heater box bolts appear to have ever been removed? Did it adequately heat before? Myself, I would replace it but that's me.

Not sure on the coolant, as I wasn't the one who pulled the engine, but it did heat the cab ok, before. Hard to tell on the bolts. Right now, I can't even get the darn thing apart. I figured I'd at least pull it apart and check on the condition of the gasket inside that separates the heat from the AC. I watched the Brothers video on pulling the heater core, but mine appears to be set up a bit different, and I'm scratching my head as to how to get it apart. In the top view, you can see that there's a hinge pin sticking up through, that would have to come out. I'm not sure how to get that out of there, or if that's my only hangup.

Ideas?

Aaron

Attachments

• SAM_3725.JPG
    SAM_3725.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 69
  • SAM_3726.JPG
    SAM_3726.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 57
  • SAM_3727.JPG
    SAM_3727.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 70

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If you have the heater box off and all the front end apart then replace it with a quality unit, like from Spectra. The heater core is cheap relatively speaking, maybe 60 bucks at a parts store depending on which brand and store, and doing it on the side of a road with fender, exhaust manifold, blower box, and motor in the way does kind of suck, at least that was my last experience...

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Replace it now,or it will leak later. Ask me how i know!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii