Replace Evap Core/liquid hard line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jak22099

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
I'm doing an r134a conversion on my '84 k10 with factory AC, getting a new parallel flow condenser, new compressor, new manifold hoses designed for r134a, and of course a new accumulator and orifice tube. My question is... can I get away with leaving the evaporator core? I really don't want to go to the trouble of taking it out if I don't have to. Would I be fine just flushing it out and hooking everything else up? The engine was swapped and after the new one was put in the hoses were left off for awhile so it has been open. Same question for the hard line that goes from the bottom of the evaporator core to the bottom of the condenser... do y'all think this could also be reused as long as I replace the o-rings?

Thanks for the help!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
When I did mine, I replaced the O-rings everywhere, the manifold and lines from the compressor, the filter/dryer, the pressure switch and the orifice tube. I still have the original factory condenser, evaporator, and A6 compressor installed running PAG 150 and R134.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I did mine, I replaced the O-rings everywhere, the manifold and lines from the compressor, the filter/dryer, the pressure switch and the orifice tube. I still have the original factory condenser, evaporator, and A6 compressor installed running PAG 150 and R134.
Yes, that is required. 134 molecule is smaller than 12. 134 will leak through 12 O-rings.

Another way to look at these conversions is the general 20% rule. Molecule is 20% smaller, pressures are 20% higher and cooling is 20% less. If 134 was a superior refrigerant, manufacturers would have used it, not 12.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad