Do I need an aftermarket fan? If so, any recommendations? (r134a conversion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jak22099

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
Hey ya'll;

I have a '84 K10 that I've been working on for a year or so and I've finally decided to tackle the AC. It was factory equipped, but the engine was swapped (400 sbc) and the hoses were never put back in and most of the components are in pretty rough shape. Decided if I want to do it right I should just replace everything, so I'm going to get new OEM hoses, accumulator, evaporator core, condenser, compressor, etc. and put in the fitting adapters and get it charged with r134a and the correct oil.

My question is - will the clutch fan be enough for the condenser or should I get an aftermarket fan to slap on the front of the condenser? I know most of the newer replacement condensers are designed to run with r134a not r12 but I've been getting mixed responses on whether or not I would also need another electric fan to ensure the condenser gets enough airflow.

-To be clear I'm not looking to replace the clutch fan, if it's really worth it for the AC to perform well I will just get one that'll go in front of the condenser between it and the grille.

If it is really necessary, what would ya'll recommend as a good aftermarket fan that will fit with OEM parts???

Any help appreciated!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Actually R12 was more efficient moving heat. So it may not require as much cooling. If the fan clutch and shrouds are intact, correct and functioning it should be ok. You could always change the fan to one with more blades / pitch or use a HD clutch. I would try it first, adding complexity and the additional expense could always be done later. To my knowledge GM didn't use electric fans till later on.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
An electric fan would improve your AC temps in the cab at idle on very hot days. Modern electric fan equipped vehicles will usually put the fans on low speed when AC is engaged to help keep airflow over the condenser and it does make a noticeable difference. The clutch fan will still be pulling a small amount of air though, so it probably wouldn't be a big enough difference to matter.

I would wait and see. If you find you are having issues with AC not cooling while in stop and go traffic on very hot days, then you can always add a small electric fan later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128