Removal of helper leaf in rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
My truck is a heavy half ton and came with these extra small but stout leaf springs in the rear. I've lowered it with hangers and shackles, but the rear rides like crap.

If I were to remove the small helper springs, would the rear of my truck go lower? It currently sits perfect and don't want to go any lower right now, but am looking for a better ride in the rear. The front rides like a dream.

Thanks for the help.

Brandon

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Is it using the helper springs right now? I mean are the rest of the leaves sitting on it or is there a gap. If there's a gap then it'll lower the truck the thickness of the leaf you remove. If there is weight on that leaf then there's no telling how much weight it's carrying and it could drop even more.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Removing the overload will lower the rear the thickness of the spring. I removed mine long ago and it noticeably rides smoother. At most its gonna sit 3/4" lower. The overload is the spring that it straighrt than the rest of the pack, on the bottom and not arched like the others. Removing too many of the smaller springs in the rest of the pack will definately lower the rear and lead to axle wrap under acceleration. I have my overload removed, spring hangers and an axle flip on my square

Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Removing the overload will lower the rear the thickness of the spring. I removed mine long ago and it noticeably rides smoother. At most its gonna sit 3/4" lower. The overload is the spring that it straighrt than the rest of the pack, on the bottom and not arched like the others. Removing too many of the smaller springs in the rest of the pack will definately lower the rear and lead to axle wrap under acceleration. I have my overload removed, spring hangers and an axle flip on my square

Thanks for that. Yeah I just want the overload springs out to help smooth the ride. I have a 4" lowering kit in the back. Will I need to notch if I remove that leaf?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Probably not, but it depends on how you drive and the road conditions. With the combo I have installed ( axle flip kit, drop hangers and overloads removed)...its approximately a 7" drop combined. Because of this I have a mini notch out back.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Thanks for that. Yeah I just want the overload springs out to help smooth the ride. I have a 4" lowering kit in the back. Will I need to notch if I remove that leaf?
I assume you still have stock shocks and no shock extenders, if that is the case, you will bottom out the shocks before you hit the frame with the axle.

If you still have the bump stops in place you will hit them before you bottom out the shocks.

Keep in mind you are going to need a "bare minimum" of 2in of clearance between the axle and the frame as well as 2 1/2in shock travel from ride height to fully compressed. Anything impeding the "bare minimum" needs to be addressed.

kaferboy1

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm glad this subject came up. I am in the middle of lowering the rear. I am doing a flip kit and short shocks, bump stops removed. I'll have to see if it is sitting low enough after I do all that. I may need to do shackles and notch and maybe the over load spring too. I'll just have to play it by ear. Funds are low, so trying to keep it simple right now.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
I assume you still have stock shocks and no shock extenders, if that is the case, you will bottom out the shocks before you hit the frame with the axle.

If you still have the bump stops in place you will hit them before you bottom out the shocks.

Keep in mind you are going to need a "bare minimum" of 2in of clearance between the axle and the frame as well as 2 1/2in shock travel from ride height to fully compressed. Anything impeding the "bare minimum" needs to be addressed.

Thanks Knight. The rear shocks are from McGaunhney (spelling?), so they definitely aren't stock, but not sure if the length is the same as stock. I do still have bump stops in place as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD