Rear Window stuck down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevenm

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yesterday after arriving home I went to roll up the rear window and nothing. I removed the switch and tested it out all worked as expected. I tested voltage between up and down and both worked. I then tested voltage at connection point under the rear bumper that work fine. So i think it is the actual window motor that may be broken or the safety switch. I also tried to 12v straight to the window motor from the connector under the bumper and nothing.

So with the window down I cannot access anything even after removing the cover plate as the window glass covers all the components. Does anyone know how to manually pull the window up or remove the glass to access the window motor? I will upload a picture later when I get home.

window in 85 suburban but I assume the same in similar k5 models.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
How did the window work before? If it was slow and reluctant to roll up, I think it's a good assumption that the motor gave up the ghost. And it could also be the safety switch, but that can be bypassed.

Stevenm

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The window actually worked really well wasn't slow or seemed to bind at all. I am going to try to bypass the safety switch tonight and see if that helps.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That's what I'd do. Hope it works out!

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Did you figure it out?

Stevenm

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes "sort of". Basically after spending another hour on it yesterday I was pretty stumped still couldn't figure out how to get to the window motor nor how to get the window up. So I put a flashlight in the opening and saw 2 bolts on either side connected to the window frame. I removed a total of four bolts 2 on either side and was able to move the glass side to side but still not pull it out. I then tried the switch again and this time the window moved. One other thing to note this 85 suburban tailgate did not have a safety switch so even with the tailgate down I was able to move the window up and down.

I moved the window halfway up the track still with the four bolts out and found some marine grease and greased any part that was metal on metal including the rollers. I put the window down and replaced the four bolts closed the tailgate. I now tried the window and it went up all the way and actually worked a lot better than ever before. I am not really sure what the issue was but I think it was just bound up somehow and no matter what I couldn't move it. Having the window motor under the glass is a poor design I was expecting I would have to cut an access panel and fix it that way but lucky I did not need that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69