Rear flip issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Even if the shocks cleared everything they would do a hell of a lot laid down like that.
Just like the goggles, they do nothing.

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Even if the shocks cleared everything they would do a hell of a lot laid down like that.
Just like the goggles, they do nothing.
Are you saying the shocks are to angled too much? If so then Thats what i was as well. Another reason to get the shock extenders

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
That pinion angle in the last pic looks to be correct.

Hmmmm....are both shocks when extended the same length?

Take a measurement between both upper and lower shock mounts. Both upper and lower mounts should be the same distance apart I would assume. In all of the trucks that I have lowered, I can honestly say that this is the first time I have seen this issue.

If this wasn't an issue before the axle flip kit was installed, something is made or installed incorrectly. Double check the fitment of the new parts that were installed and make sure that they are positioned correctly.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Are you saying the shocks are to angled too much? If so then Thats what i was as well. Another reason to get the shock extenders
Shocks mounted anymore that 20 degrees wont work very effectively. Shock extenders will only allow the use of stock length shocks. Some people, including myself have had clearance issues between the upper shock body and the mini notch. Be sure to check that as well. Sometimes the upper shock body will hit the mini notch when the suspension bottoms out. If the upper shock body gets dented, the shock will stick and fail.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Im thinking you just need longer shocks with the amount of drop you have if everything else checks out.

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That pinion angle in the last pic looks to be correct.

Hmmmm....are both shocks when extended the same length?

Take a measurement between both upper and lower shock mounts. Both upper and lower mounts should be the same distance apart I would assume. In all of the trucks that I have lowered, I can honestly say that this is the first time I have seen this issue.

If this wasn't an issue before the axle flip kit was installed, something is made or installed incorrectly. Double check the fitment of the new parts that were installed and make sure that they are positioned correctly.
Yeah the shocks were the same length extended... i probably should of took some measurement before started taking stuff apart but....double and triple checked tjat all parts were installed and installed correctly... gonna look for a longer shock and hopefully it works out...if something is off it will be an issue i can address when i have the frame shortend as it is a long bed

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
When you did the flip, were the holes mounted such that it moves the axle forward?

Those shocks look SUSPICIOUSLY like Monroe shocks. Would you be willing to peel a sticker off and see what part number they are?

With shock extenders, you should be able to use stock rear shocks (Monroe 33084). Without extenders, you can use 4WD front shocks (Monroe 33074).

You really want to have SOME droop travel - without it, it will ride and handle awful.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If the 2 shocks are different lengths the seller must have sent you 1 front shock and 1 rear shock, fronts are shorter than rears.

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If the 2 shocks are different lengths the seller must have sent you 1 front shock and 1 rear shock, fronts are shorter than rears.
Shocks were same length. They sent me 2 front along with springs and spindles and two rear along with flip components

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
My square was also a longbed. We "z'd" the frame and made it into a shortbed. It was a lot of work, but well worth it in the end. Have you sourced a new driveline already for your conversion?

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When you did the flip, were the holes mounted such that it moves the axle forward?
Thought about this too... but eveything i read says to put the offset hole towards the front of truck

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'll bet the rear shocks are the wrong length

Cotas86

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My square was also a longbed. We "z'd" the frame and made it into a shortbed. It was a lot of work, but well worth it in the end. Have you sourced a new driveline already for your conversion?
No not yet still looking for the right person or place to do the grame work. Im pretty confident in my measuring and cutting but the lack of welding skills is whats holding this project up

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yes when the suspension cycles the shocks will only use about 1.5" (guessing) of their travel. The shocks laid down will loose their mechanical advantage.
The oil in the shocks may very well just cavitate rendering them completely useless as well.
You need short shocks mounted as vertical as possible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell