Really weird air conditioning problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First need flush fluid. Disconnect compressor, remove orifice tube. I don't measure the fluid. Just pour a cup or so in condenser and evaporator, using air hose blow it out. Do not use full pressure, especially on evaporator. Put a rag over the other outlet to avoid a mess and check for contaminates. Repeat until clean, flush hoses., replace drier. Remember there will not be any oil in the system at this point except compressor if that was re-used. Going this far recommend replacing the hoses and of course add correct AC oil spread throughout system.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The second time when I took it out after the compressor locked up it was definitely clogged. I blew out the evap and condenser with air but was nervous to use flush stuff because I don't know if it will all come out with everything installed in the truck still.
Okay, you need to flush every part clean as @fast 99 stated. The compressor oil makes the inside of all the parts sticky. That in turn holds all the shredded compressor guts. Disconnect and flush each part with a solvent based cleaner. I know they sell spray cans with adapters to flush out trans coolers. The hoses may not like any solvent cleaners. That is why you may want to replace them also as stated.

I could go and on and on about aftermarket and (rebuilt) parts.... I'll shut up...

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
First need flush fluid. Disconnect compressor, remove orifice tube. I don't measure the fluid. Just pour a cup or so in condenser and evaporator, using air hose blow it out. Do not use full pressure, especially on evaporator. Put a rag over the other outlet to avoid a mess and check for contaminates. Repeat until clean, flush hoses., replace drier. Remember there will not be any oil in the system at this point except compressor if that was re-used. Going this far recommend replacing the hoses and of course add correct AC oil spread throughout system.

Okay, you need to flush every part clean as @fast 99 stated. The compressor oil makes the inside of all the parts sticky. That in turn holds all the shredded compressor guts. Disconnect and flush each part with a solvent based cleaner. I know they sell spray cans with adapters to flush out trans coolers. The hoses may not like any solvent cleaners. That is why you may want to replace them also as stated.

I could go and on and on about aftermarket and (rebuilt) parts.... I'll shut up...
It's OK to flush them in place? All the solvent will come out?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Use A/C flush, not any other solvent, and it should be fine. It is designed to flush out the liquid completely, and any remaining residue is compatible with common A/C refrigerants and oils.

Old design condensers have fairly large passages, but later on they switched to a more effective design (piccolo, etc.) that has quite small passages. Not sure when they made the changes to squarebody trucks.

If you have pulled the orifice valve assembly, evaporator should be easy to flush cleanly. Receiver/drier will need to be replaced. One hose may have a muffler (looks like a tin can). Not sure how well it flushes.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
Use A/C flush, not any other solvent, and it should be fine. It is designed to flush out the liquid completely, and any remaining residue is compatible with common A/C refrigerants and oils.

Old design condensers have fairly large passages, but later on they switched to a more effective design (piccolo, etc.) that has quite small passages. Not sure when they made the changes to squarebody trucks.

If you have pulled the orifice valve assembly, evaporator should be easy to flush cleanly. Receiver/drier will need to be replaced. One hose may have a muffler (looks like a tin can). Not sure how well it flushes.
Awesome, I'm gona do it. Might be a couple of weeks though I got a lot going on right now.

Really appreciate all the help guys. I'll report back when I'm done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crick13