ranger over drive questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishmaster

Reaction score
First Name
marshal
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
i know that I've talked about this product before but i have found a new company called ranger that have a gear splitter. but i have heard that they can be used in 4wd? is there anyone out there that has this or knows someone who does that can tell me more bout this that it does not say on the sites?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Your way better off just installing an over drive transmission

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's a range box that bolts up BETWEEN the engine and trans. IIRC, they are available as an underdrive or an overdrive.

Alaskaskiff

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chassis
Engine Size
They have been around a long time. There are complaints of gear noise. Check out advance adapters. They have a lot of information about these units on their website.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Your way better off just installing an over drive transmission

I have been doing reading on this as lots of people swap to the NV4500 but I have also noticed that people who do this spend upwards of like 2500-3000 or more in parts and repairs.

The Ranger Overdrive can be had for $900-1000 and if you already have a 4 speed such as a SM465 then it just bolts up and all you worry about is drive shafts being made longer or shorter.

The other caveat is people say the Ranger Overdrive is noisy but those who have used a NV4500 will also tell you they have a tendency to be noisy.

So it really comes to how much work you want to do and how much money you'd like to spend.

And PS the GV unit bolts to the back of your tranmission where the Ranger Overdrive goes between the engine and transmission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
think there is a vent on it...

The ranger shifts great. Your main tranny will not sift quite as well because the sycro's now have to accelerate or decellerate not only the clutch disk but all the gears in the ranger overdrive. If you are a good shifter you won't have any trouble.... I'f your the type to hammer on the syncro's then they will wear out faster with the ranger. - I love mine - no complaints.

The old trucker rule about splitting gears: Always do the upshift first on a split. Yes it splits gears nicley.

If you are in 4th high you would go to direct in the ranger.

Next shift would be High in the ranger first then 3rd in the tranny - that's your split shift.

Next would be direct in the ranger.

Next would be over in the Ranger and 2cnd in the tranyy etc..

Of course you have to move everything back like 10 inches or so... Could be a fabrication problem....

here is a post from someone who owns one

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
why would you need od in 4wd? I myself would go with a gear vendor. highdesertranger

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
why would you need od in 4wd? I myself would go with a gear vendor. highdesertranger

2H and 4H - 8 forward gears and 2 reverse gears

4L - 8 forward gears & 2 reverse gears of a completely ratio than 2H and 4H

Depending on the situation having gears between gears can be helpful.

I have one uninstalled that is earmarked for my '65 3/4 ton that has the SM420. You have to cut 3/4" off the nose of the bearing retainer for the transmission to slip into OD unit. I designed a mount that uses a standard TH400 mount to support the rear of the OD unit because the SM420 doesn't have a trans-mount and I didn't want both the OD unit and trans hanging off the bell housing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus