Radio light bulb change, 2700 AM/FM stereo/cassette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I am redoing the interior of my truck and since I have most of it out, I wanted to replace the light bulbs for the radio as well.
(My truck is a 1983 GMC Sierra Classic 2WD/305 engine)

Taking the radio out wasn't impossible, but "interesting."
Two 5/8" nuts behind the knobs, a strap brace on the right side to the dash bottom.
Also, 3 individual wiring plugs on the back that just pull out after raising their clips.

On the radio front, remove two more 5/8" nuts on the tuning & off/on knobs.
Then you can set the front panel aside.

You must be registered for see images attach

The green and orange bulbs are the "tape" and "stereo" lights. They pull straight out and have 2 long base terminals. There are 3 holes they go in, so if you remove them, be sure to note what holes to use.

Above, you can see the two black horizontal sockets for the light bulbs on either side of the pointer.. The left one is in, the right one is removed.
(The green & orange bulbs are mirrored in the push button. There is only one of each)

The light bulbs are small like "wheat bulbs", a smaller version of the 194 bulb.
They just pull out. I used needle nose pliers.

The clear bulbs also have a blue "condom" looking cover over each. (Below)

I got replacement bulbs at NAPA.
The part number for them is #73.

Maybe this will help someone else..........

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Interesting. My truck has the same radio, and I always assumed it had a single 1889 bulb like it says in the owner's manual. Those #73 bulbs have a 15,000 hour life (just a bit under 2 years constant use), so shouldn't ever need to be replaced. In real life, however...

My dial scale still lights up evenly, though the color emitted is almost an olive green... does match the rest of the dash lights pretty well.

FWIW- the Tape and Stereo indicators are LED's

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@PeteJr,

Are those colored lights out? I may have an idea where you can get them. Radio Shack may not have stores anymore but they are still on line. I just ordered some solder from them and got it in pretty fast. I used to buy electric stuff from their store over by my house for years. They still have all that stuff on line. I have some of those colored bulbs but mine are red for computers. I thought I'd seen those kinds of bulbs before.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
@PeteJr,

Are those colored lights out? I may have an idea where you can get them. Radio Shack may not have stores anymore but they are still on line. I just ordered some solder from them and got it in pretty fast. I used to buy electric stuff from their store over by my house for years. They still have all that stuff on line. I have some of those colored bulbs but mine are red for computers. I thought I'd seen those kinds of bulbs before.

No William, my colored ones were good. I remember seeing them somewhere also, but can't think of it. Good info on RS though. Thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK