Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavenlyhawgs

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I want to put an aluminum radiator and electric fans in my 1986 2wd. I have 383 stroker with 700r. Temps get up to 210 with original parts. Trying to prepare for Arizona temps in the summer. If pics are available that would help.
TIA

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
First comment - 210 degrees is a good temp if that’s as high as it ever gets. You only need to worry about handling a spike that routinely goes well above that (225-230?, because that usually indicates something is marginal.

I used a Champion aluminum radiator from Jegs and it works really well. I also have a Stewart high flow water pump, 195 degree high flow thermostat, severe duty fan clutch and OEM 7 blade metal fan.

I don’t have quite the same weather as you, but I’ve had it idling in the driveway for at least an hour in 90 degree weather with the A/C running and it stabilized at a little under 200 degrees. If I’ve been running high speed on the highway and then exit and stop at a light I might see it spike up to 205, but it quickly comes back down as the fan clutch catches up and increases air flow. I have aluminum heads and intake, so that might also help a little.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I agree nothing wrong with 210. Keep in mind if your running a 195 stat that is the temp it begins to open at and is fully open somewhere around 200 - 205ish. The fan clutch will engage by air temp, not coolant temp, but generally will be engaging around 210 - 220, but if you're radiator is clogged it could delay clutch engagement, also your 40 year clutch might not be at it's best. On a modern vehicle with electric fans, they are typically set to turn on around 220 - 225F. I would suggest what you are seeing is pretty normal.

With that said I'm about to pull the trigger on a Champion aluminum radiator because my OE radiator is on borrowed time, but will keep the mechanical fan. I'd really recommend that you look at the amp draw of the electric fan (s) your thinking of installing and the output of your alternator. If your still running the stock 63amp alternator off 1 V-belt you may find yourself unhappy, in one way or another because of excessive amp draw with the fan on, the A/C on high and the lights on. You might then go up to a 90 amp alternator and find you have trouble with the single belt squealing, and then you'll want a serp belt setup. Or maybe you already have a serp belt and I just wrote that for nothing.... Seriously though you might do just fine with a single V-belt run alternator, but know there could be issues.

Did you know that a 7 blade mechanical fan with a properly functioning fan clutch will pull more air than most electrics? There are a lot of shotty aftermarket fan clutches so if you decide to stick with a mechanical fan, get an A/C delco clutch it'll cost twice as much but work properly. You could also run a 180F thermostat if you insist.

Likely someone will come along and recommend some electric fans, I can't help with that I've seen to many issues with aftermarket electric fans at the shop to want one for myself.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Most aftermarket fans are junk. The airflow ratings are very inflated, the motors are too small to spin a big fan, and the fans supplied with them are too small to pull any real air.

If you absolutely insist on electric fans, buy the really good aftermarket, or adapt electric fans from a late model production car. When was the last time you saw a late model car sitting along the road overheated? The OEM can’t afford customer complaints and warranty work caused by marginal cooling systems, they definitely have it figured out.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I really recommend the OEM 7 blade metal fan and a good thermal fan clutch. It can’t be beat for air flow. If you run A/C a lot I might consider a small aux fan for the condenser when running at slow speeds, but it’s probably not necessary.

If you really want electric fans, do a web search for the Ford Taurus or Ford Windstar complete fan and shroud assemblies. One has a single 2 speed fan and the other has dual fans. New ones are not that expensive, but in a junkyard you should be able to also get the controller and relays. These fans pull a lot of amps, so typical 30 amp relays and cheap fan controllers are not going to cut it. Adapt the entire shroud and fan assembly to get the best flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke