radiator help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevytrucks84

Reaction score
First Name
mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
im looking to change out my old stock radiatorfor a new one. id like a double pass and if not that then definately an aluminum one. i cant find anything that fits the stock size that is aftermarket. just wondering if anyone has installed besides a big block or four core radiator. let me know thanks mitch

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
im looking to change out my old stock radiatorfor a new one. id like a double pass and if not that then definately an aluminum one. i cant find anything that fits the stock size that is aftermarket. just wondering if anyone has installed besides a big block or four core radiator. let me know thanks mitch

This one should cool much more than an OEM 4 Core Old school radiator. More tubes per inch, and being aluminum. Lifetime Warranty is always nice. Provided the company stays in business.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-1967-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc72d34bb&vxp=mtr

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, Welcome Aboard Mitch. Do we get to see pics of your truck and hear a bit about it?

whiplash889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
might want to try lmc.com i just picked up a 3 core aluminum for 250 shipped

Actually, www.lmctruck.com Here's a link.

Last edited by a moderator:

chevytrucks84

Reaction score
First Name
mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thanks for the quick replys! i was looking at the dual pass on ebay but they only come in 31x19 and thats tank to tank, the stock is 28.5 and i would like the same if not bigger. im liking the champion radiator, but i dont need the tranny cooler no big deal. any other sugestions would be help full. im hoping to order one beginning of the week. thanks again

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Something to consider when choosing between a 2-core or 3-core radiator is that if the external physical dimensions are the same, the internal tube diameter in the triple is reduced...usually from 5/8" to 1/4", so the potential for rust and corrosion to clog them is greatly increased.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That looks like a really well-built unit, better than the DPI 716 I bought for $215. Only issue is that if you go with any other size than oem you're going to have issues with the shroud not fitting properly which translates into lost efficiency.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks like a really well-built unit, better than the DPI 716 I bought for $215. Only issue is that if you go with any other size than oem you're going to have issues with the shroud not fitting properly which translates into lost efficiency.

Then means to find a nice fitting Electric fan set up. Regain hp and run cooler. Win Win !!! :waytogo:

chevytrucks84

Reaction score
First Name
mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i already have the electric fan set up so its not a big deal. i cannot find anybody that says prc is a "bad radiator" so im thinking thats it

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i already have the electric fan set up so its not a big deal. i cannot find anybody that says prc is a "bad radiator" so im thinking thats it

Go for it !!! :grd: We've had some recent discussion about E fan set ups. When you get a chance, maybe dig up that thread and let us know what you have as far as fan, temp switch, relays etc.
And let us know how that install goes on the PRC radiator. :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This one should cool much more than an OEM 4 Core Old school radiator. More tubes per inch, and being aluminum. Lifetime Warranty is always nice. Provided the company stays in business.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-1967-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc72d34bb&vxp=mtr

It says it's a "lifetime" warranty for 60 days :shitsweak:

I bought a Champion radiator from a different seller and that thing leaks like a SOB. I think it leaked right from the start, but I had other minor leaks that kept popping up so I didn't realize the rad was faulty. 1.5 years later, the think pukes coolant from everywhere.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It says it's a "lifetime" warranty for 60 days :shitsweak:

I bought a Champion radiator from a different seller and that thing leaks like a SOB. I think it leaked right from the start, but I had other minor leaks that kept popping up so I didn't realize the rad was faulty. 1.5 years later, the think pukes coolant from everywhere.

Mental note to add to my Do NOT Buy List:
#1 Firestone tires cuz they go flat.
#2 Champion Radiators cuz they puke coolant everywhere.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lol, it really does leak from everywhere. There must be several porous welds on both tanks and were the tubes go into the tanks. Stop-leak pellets took care of some of the smaller leaks, but it still leaks badly near the bottom somewhere that I can't see with the shroud in place. It leaks fast enough that I can't even drive it anywhere right now.

Hopefully it was just a fluke because I have another Champion radiator that I bought at the same time. I have yet to install it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol, it really does leak from everywhere. There must be several porous welds on both tanks and were the tubes go into the tanks. Stop-leak pellets took care of some of the smaller leaks, but it still leaks badly near the bottom somewhere that I can't see with the shroud in place. It leaks fast enough that I can't even drive it anywhere right now.

Hopefully it was just a fluke because I have another Champion radiator that I bought at the same time. I have yet to install it.

Maybe they had a trainee build that bad one. :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06