Radiator, Belts, Hoses Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81GMCSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
I have a 81 GMC Sierra 2500 that has a 5.7L 350cid V8 from a 79 C10 in it.

I looking to order all the parts i need to replace the radiator, belts, and hoses but am a little overwhelmed with all the choices. I am also not sure which parts I need to get.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Your best off to take your rad to a rad shop and have it reconditioned. Its virtually the same as buying a brand new rad. But cheaper and you know its gonna fit back in just like it came out.

As for the belts and hoses the parts guy should know which ones you need. They are year and application specific even though the same parts are used for many years and different applications.

Just tell the parts guy what year, engine and truck model and you should end up with the right parts.

81GMCSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
So I forgot to mention I am replacing the radiator because it has a leak. Will reconditioning fix this?

I plan on ordering everything from Rock Auto so there isn't a parts guy to ask.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeppers it will be just like new

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Make sure they give you a warranty though

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Radiator:

If your original radiator is still in place (and it was performing/cooling well other than the leak), measure it and use those dimensions when ordering a new one. The biggest hassle when replacing a radiator is often fitting it in place. This is due to sloppy, "one size fits all" aftermarket manufacturing processes. For example, do you have A/C? If so, the radiator is a couple of inches taller.

When selecting a replacement radiator, order according to model/year of the truck and the size of the current engine. IOW - you should order a radiator for a 1981 K20 with a 5.7 liter engine (also with automatic transmission and equipped with A/C - if that's the case).

Best bet on replacement radiator is - stay away from the internet, buy local. Bring your current radiator with you to the parts counter and check all the dimensions carefully to make sure it will fit.

Belts:

To help you with part numbers on this, you would have to provide a few images of how your engine and auxiliaries are set up.

But, basically, if the current belts work well, use the same sizes. Remove what you have installed, take them to your local part store and buy exact replacements. Or if you prefer, get the sizes/styles off them and order on-line.

Hoses:

Not counting the radiator/expansion tank vent line (and heater hoses) there are only two hoses - upper and lower radiator. And, other than getting a lower hose with an anti-collapse spring, there aren't many options. Get any of these at your local parts store:

Upper: GOODYEAR Part # 61564, DAYCO Part # 71558, GATES Part # 21204
Lower: GOODYEAR Part # 60855, DAYCO Part # 70735 , GATES Part # 20843

Last edited:

81GMCSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
Radiator:

If your original radiator is still in place (and it was performing/cooling well other than the leak), measure it and use those dimensions when ordering a new one. The biggest hassle when replacing a radiator is often fitting it in place. This is due to sloppy, "one size fits all" aftermarket manufacturing processes. For example, do you have A/C? If so, the radiator is a couple of inches taller.

When selecting a replacement radiator, order according to model/year of the truck and the size of the current engine. IOW - you should order a radiator for a 1981 K20 with a 5.7 liter engine (also with automatic transmission and equipped with A/C - if that's the case).

Best bet on replacement radiator is - stay away from the internet, buy local. Bring your current radiator with you to the parts counter and check all the dimensions carefully to make sure it will fit.

Belts:

To help you with part numbers on this, you would have to provide a few images of how your engine and auxiliaries are set up.

But, basically, if the current belts work well, use the same sizes. Remove what you have installed, take them to your local part store and buy exact replacements. Or if you prefer, get the sizes/styles off them and order on-line.

Hoses:

Not counting the radiator/expansion tank vent line (and heater hoses) there are only two hoses - upper and lower radiator. And, other than getting a lower hose with an anti-collapse spring, there aren't many options. Get any of these at your local parts store:

Upper: GOODYEAR Part # 61564, DAYCO Part # 71558, GATES Part # 21204
Lower: GOODYEAR Part # 60855, DAYCO Part # 70735 , GATES Part # 20843

Cheers! Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus