Question about transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
I pulled my motor ( 350 ) and Im putting in a rebuilt 350.

I had a quadra jet ( i think thats the name ) I am installing a edlebrock AVS2, WHen I pulled the carb off the old motor there was the throttle cable that goes to the accelerator and on other side of the carb there was another cable that goes to the transmission. What is that cable ? and will i be able to attach that to my new carb set up ?

I saved and restored the 2 brackets that hold the 2 cables at the carb.

I have a 350 Auto trans with a 205 transfer case.

Thanks

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If it’s a th350 trans, all the cable does is cause the trans to downshift at full throttle. Technically, you can run a 350 without it, the only issue is no WOT downshifts, a the wot shift points will be lower than you probably want

If it’s a 700, that cable has to be connected, the linkage has to be right, or you can measure transmission life in minutes.

Find out what you have before driving it.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
its a Th350

sorry I didnt clarify .

I would prefer to connect it, can it be hooked up to a standard edlebrock AVS2 ?

I have the brackets, just not sure where it attaches to the new carb,

I have not started to install motor yet, just want to make sure im prepared

thanks

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Some pics would be a great help. I have an eddy on my 350 with my th350 hooked to it. Granted i dont have an avs but im sure it can be done. Im betting in this kinda orientation...(pic from google)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
I really dont have any relevant pics yet, carb is in the box, motor is being built. I just never had a auto so its a little confusing, Im glad to hear you have a TH350 and a eddy and the kick down works, im sure it will, i would just rather learn of any issues before hand, Im new to this aspect of engines etc, my buddy is helping me but I like to stay informed.

would you happen to have or could you get a pic of your set up whenever you have a minute, that would be of great help

thanks

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I really dont have any relevant pics yet, carb is in the box, motor is being built. I just never had a auto so its a little confusing, Im glad to hear you have a TH350 and a eddy and the kick down works, im sure it will, i would just rather learn of any issues before hand, Im new to this aspect of engines etc, my buddy is helping me but I like to stay informed.

would you happen to have or could you get a pic of your set up whenever you have a minute, that would be of great help

thanks
My square currently resides at my job so on tuesday when i go back to work ill get you pics of my hook up for sure.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
thanks very much, no rush, Im a month from crossing that bridge but yes, thanks for your help !!

happy Labor Day !

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
thanks very much, no rush, Im a month from crossing that bridge but yes, thanks for your help !!

happy Labor Day !
Absolutely man! Love to help members! Enjoy your holiday weekend! :happy160::drink_nl:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Edelbrock probably makes a linkage that will bolt onto the throttle shaft so that you can hook it up. It's nothing unique I am pretty sure all autos have a kick down linkage to drop the transmission when you floor it for passing gear.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The stock Quadrajet bracket for the kickdown cable attaches to the two back carburetor bolts, and it probably will not fit with the AVS2. However, Edelbrock sells several adjustable brackets that will work, and there are other sources for similar linkage and brackets.

This is one example of the type of bracket. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8036 It is adjustable to fit various carburetor and cable applications.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
@81squared heres some pics of mine. My throttle cable and cruise setup is custom.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@78C10BigTen,

What is the "cruise control"? "hooked" to? Some kind of a diaphragm? I've seen pictures of this but cannot figure how that works. With that hook on the end of the rod, what could it be pulling on? It looks like a big diaphragm.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@81squared,
How far are you from New York City? I am a supporter of one of the candidates for Mayor. Yeah, yeah, I know I live in alligator city Louisiana. But my money doesn't know that.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
@78C10BigTen,

What is the "cruise control"? "hooked" to? Some kind of a diaphragm? I've seen pictures of this but cannot figure how that works. With that hook on the end of the rod, what could it be pulling on? It looks like a big diaphragm.
Its a vaccum pod. It pulles vac from the back side witch moves the rod attatched to the carb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii