Question about engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
This may sound stupid but how do I adjust the idle on my 87 Chevrolet R10 TBI Pickup with a V6?

It stalls when you stop too fast from traveling at highway speeds.
Sometimes it will stall when you put it into reverse and sometimes drive.

Im thinking if I adjust the idle up a little it will stay running and not stall.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sounds more like a trans problem. How's the fluid?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
If it feels like the trans is not unlocking, it probably needs a TCC selonoid and a fresh filter.
That will feel like a manual trans that you didn't put in the clutch as you stop.

If no transmission issues, it is more likely a problem with fouled injectors, or a fouled idle air control valve. Both can get carbon fouled and create low speed issues.

What kind of mileage is on it?

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
If it feels like the trans is not unlocking, it probably needs a TCC selonoid and a fresh filter.
That will feel like a manual trans that you didn't put in the clutch as you stop.

If no transmission issues, it is more likely a problem with fouled injectors, or a fouled idle air control valve. Both can get carbon fouled and create low speed issues.

What kind of mileage is on it?

I really have no clue how many are on the truck. Motor was rebuilt about 40,000 ago.

Odometer reads 54,678

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I really have no clue how many are on the truck. Motor was rebuilt about 40,000 ago.

Odometer reads 54,678

One of the problems with rebuilding a motor is that we seldom spend the time and money to refresh anything else. If there are 154k miles on the injectors, they are done. That would also be about where I would expect a LOT of carbon built up inside the intake and throttle body, possibly messing with the IAC valve, and likely the EGR valve.
The reason you need to look at these instead of just adjusting a screw is that the TBI system controls it's own idle air, as needed, depending on temp, A/C load, EGR position, etc. If the mechanisms that meter any air used at idle are not working as they should, you will just have the same issues, but at a slightly higher rpm.

With that many miles, and years, you should also be wary of the fuel pressure regulator. Have a look at the things above first.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
One of the problems with rebuilding a motor is that we seldom spend the time and money to refresh anything else. If there are 154k miles on the injectors, they are done. That would also be about where I would expect a LOT of carbon built up inside the intake and throttle body, possibly messing with the IAC valve, and likely the EGR valve.
The reason you need to look at these instead of just adjusting a screw is that the TBI system controls it's own idle air, as needed, depending on temp, A/C load, EGR position, etc. If the mechanisms that meter any air used at idle are not working as they should, you will just have the same issues, but at a slightly higher rpm.

With that many miles, and years, you should also be wary of the fuel pressure regulator. Have a look at the things above first.

Im going to start with the Idle air control valve.
Where is such valve at on my V6?

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Look for this, sticking out the side of the throttle body...

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay