Question about drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
I just got my first 87 GMC Sierra 2500. I was kind of surprised when I realized that the front brakes were drums as well as the rear. Is this from the factory or most likely a previous owner put them on? Whats involved in putting in front disc brakes?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just got my first 87 GMC Sierra 2500. I was kind of surprised when I realized that the front brakes were drums as well as the rear. Is this from the factory or most likely a previous owner put them on? Whats involved in putting in front disc brakes?

On an 87 ?

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Yes, has drums on all 4 wheels on my 87. I thought it was kind of odd.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
sounds like somebody stole the brakes for another project

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
I am new to working on these trucks. What involved in switching it over to disc brakes for the front?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
2wd ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Wow - 1970 was the last model year that came with both front/rear drums.

Without any other details, it would be safe to assume that at some point the entire axle was exchanged.

See if you can identify the make/model of the axle - that's if it's a K (4WD) series.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, someone had a 67-70 truck with drum brakes and robbed the spindles and brake assemblies for a swap job.

You'll probably just want to go to a DIY U Pull It yard with a hammer and picklefork to break the upper and lower ball joints loose at the spindle and take the complete assembiles off each side.

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the info so far. Yes it is 4WD model. I guess I was excited about getting it that I didn't think to look at the brake types. I drove it home 88 miles and it brakes well. It does have an obvious dragging noise on one of the front though when braking lightly.

On a separate note, it does a strange pop noise on acceleration from a stop and going over let say a speed bump at slow speed. Kind of like when it is thrusting weight forward. Any ideas?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks for the info so far. Yes it is 4WD model. I guess I was excited about getting it that I didn't think to look at the brake types. I drove it home 88 miles and it brakes well. It does have an obvious dragging noise on one of the front though when braking lightly.

On a separate note, it does a strange pop noise on acceleration from a stop and going over let say a speed bump at slow speed. Kind of like when it is thrusting weight forward. Any ideas?

Wow is right! I would have swore it was a 2wd lol

I think seeing as it is a 4wd you would be better off to get a whole new axle but you must make sure that you get one with the exact same gear ratio as the rear axle in your truck. Maybe time to find a pair of heavier axles if your game for it :)

Any pics of your truck and axles ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The pop may be from the slip yoke at the front end of the drive shaft.

Depending on the type of transfer case you have, the splines that connect the driveshaft slip yoke to the output shaft of the transfer case may or may not not be internally lubricated.

In the case that they are not internally lubricated, the splines require grease to be manually applied. This is normally done at driveshaft installation but after many years/miles the grease is dry - or just gone. Regreasing requires dropping the drive shaft and cleaning/greasing the splines.

That is just one common cause, there are any number of others. A GM TSB on driveline clunking:

Drivetrain - Information on Driveline Clunk Noise

INFORMATION
Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-002H
Date: April 11, 2013
Subject: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise
Models:
2014 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2013-2014 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002G (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

Some customers of vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, customers of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released. Tipping into the throttle after deceleration can also result in some level of clunk as the driveline is loaded in one direction (coast) then with throttle reapply the driveline gets loaded in the opposite direction (drive). On manual transmission vehicles depressing the clutch while in a deceleration immediately releases load on the driveline and may produce a clunk noise as the driveline unloads.

Note:

Compare this complaint vehicle to a like vehicle. If the results are the same, this is a normal condition. For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service information.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle.

This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I remember, the drum brake front axles were the closed-knuckle type and swapping to discs was not easy. Can anyone confirm?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64