Question about air ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevytruckguy93

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have a 1987 v10. Yes it is four wheel drive but i don't plan on using it unless i absolutely have too. I'm trying to find a way to get the bumpyness out of the ride of the truck. These trucks are bad for it because of their straight axles but i've heard that by airbagging the suspension i can keep it at the stock ride height and it is a whole lot smoother. is this true?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wouldn't mind mono leafs and airbags front and back with some good shocks. With traction bars to keep the axle wrap under control.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I would never run bags up front. I wouldnt even run airshocks, unless they are like the fox ones for extreme off-road.

Chevytruckguy93

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
well the thing is i don't ever plan on taking my truck off road. the 4x4 is there just in case of snow or emergencies. I'm trying to find a solution to get the buck or bounce out of my truck. Every one of the square bodies i've owned, rode in, or driven has had the same bounce and i just want to see if there is a way to get it out.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
If you go cheap, you will get a cheap ride. With air springs a larger dia. will lift the same weight with less psi. Mono leafs with a traction bar to prevent axel wrap works but a fourlink setup will give better ride quality ie that cushy floating on a cloud Cadillac ride your looking for. The right shocks are very important too but the best advice I can give there is get the exact weight of the truck at each wheel and call your favorite manufacturer. 1/4 air lines are slow to change ride height and 1/2 would only be needed if you were building one of those low riders that acts like hydraulics but rides like a Cadillac, 3/8 is good for most applications. If moneys tight the place to save would be by doing 1/2 at a time, I've seen the springs set up with Schrader valves as temporary until controls air lines and compressors can be set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1