quadrajet very high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
Hey Guys
I rebuilt my carb double checked everything and installed it. Once it got fuel it started right up then as it warmed up the idle went sky high so I checked everything looked at the before photos to make sure I put everything back where it was turned the idle screws out and still high idle. I took it off and disassembled it again to see if I missed anything put it back together and it did the same thing. Money is real tight so taking it to a mechanic is out as is buying a new one. With my disability that is a connective tissue disease I tore something else in my shoulder and 2 days later tore a bicep so I can't do this much longer. Today I cleaned and reinstalled the old float needle and seat because it seemed like there was a lot of fuel in different places in the carb put a new gasket on fired it up and same thing. Im lost please help.

P.S. it did seem like it was warped some but I heard all quadrajets have this.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’m not sure which screws you are adjusting. There is a single idle speed screw, and it adjusts the stop on the throttle return. Then you have two idle mixture screws that adjust the Air-fuel ratio. Which screws are you turning?
There is also a high speed idle screw, and it will be engaged only when the choke plate is closed.

Curb Idle speed screw - turning out (counterclockwise) will reduce idle speed.
Idle mixture screws - gently screw them in until lightly touching bottom, and then unscrew about 2 1/2 turns as a starting point. Turning them farther out will richen the mixture and usually speed up the idle. If you slowly screw them in it will lean the mixture and should eventually cause the engine to stall from lack of fuel.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
I’m not sure which screws you are adjusting. There is a single idle speed screw, and it adjusts the stop on the throttle return. Then you have two idle mixture screws that adjust the Air-fuel ratio. Which screws are you turning?
There is also a high speed idle screw, and it will be engaged only when the choke plate is closed.

Curb Idle speed screw - turning out (counterclockwise) will reduce idle speed.
Idle mixture screws - gently screw them in until lightly touching bottom, and then unscrew about 2 1/2 turns as a starting point. Turning them farther out will richen the mixture and usually speed up the idle. If you slowly screw them in it will lean the mixture and should eventually cause the engine to stall from lack of fuel.
I am only turning the choke idle screw and the throttle screw. The other 2 screws are still sealed with the hardened plug.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vacuum leak
fast idle cam jammed on the right side. Make sure it moves free.

The plugs on front bottom are blocked for emissions idle mix adjustment. Feds didn't want them played with. Plugs can be removed from the underside but doubt that is the problem. Turning the carb over to remove them can cause dirt to be dislodged. Should only do that on a rebuild.

topper

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 suburban
Engine Size
Vacuum leak
fast idle cam jammed on the right side. Make sure it moves free.

The plugs on front bottom are blocked for emissions idle mix adjustment. Feds didn't want them played with. Plugs can be removed from the underside but doubt that is the problem. Turning the carb over to remove them can cause dirt to be dislodged. Should only do that on a rebuild.
I was guessing and kinda hoping that it is a vacuum leak until I remembered just for kicks putting a straight edge across the throttle body (middle section ?) and it was definately not flat but I heard that this is common and after watching a lot of videos on youtube of guys rebuilding quadrajets and they never even checked for flatness put it together and it worked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20