Quadrajet question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Thank you guys really helpful. I'm picking up the 17080298 carb tomorrow. Plan is to swap over the choke and run it while I rebuild the 17085213. I'm going to pick up everything I need from Cliffs, seems like the place to go for quads.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Cliff will hook you up with a good kit just for your application. Just fill out his form with what you got, and what you may do in the future, and he'll walk you through what you need, i.e.: bigger jets/rods, whatever it is, he knows his stuff. And his kits are made to run on the new fuels.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Cliff does have the best parts available. And yes, you can pull the electric choke element off and transfer it to your new carb. Like mentioned, make sure you plug off the intake port or it will be a large vacuum leak.

Where is your old quadrajet leaking?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Regarding the choke make sure it goes back on properly. I still haven't figured out how to line up all the stuff properly and its driving me nuts and there isn't a single good write up on how to properly hookup the choke levers and such.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Regarding the choke make sure it goes back on properly. I still haven't figured out how to line up all the stuff properly and its driving me nuts and there isn't a single good write up on how to properly hookup the choke levers and such.

I could post some pics if that would help?

You can just remove everything as one piece and then its just a matter of getting the little lever on that goes from inside the body on the choke coil shaft to the actual choke plate. Its actually really simple if you use the right technique.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Cliff does have the best parts available. And yes, you can pull the electric choke element off and transfer it to your new carb. Like mentioned, make sure you plug off the intake port or it will be a large vacuum leak.

Where is your old quadrajet leaking?

Better off replacing the intake with an Edelbrock 2101. But ya for sure plug the tubes off that come out of the intake or make an actual block off plate for where the heater tube goes.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thank you guys really helpful. I'm picking up the 17080298 carb tomorrow. Plan is to swap over the choke and run it while I rebuild the 17085213. I'm going to pick up everything I need from Cliffs, seems like the place to go for quads.

I should mention that when you epoxy the primary fuel well set screws, that you have to be very careful that you don't tighten the set screw all the way down, or you will block off the main jet passages. Take a flash light and look down the main jet opening while at the same time tightening in the set screw(with out epoxy) and you will see what Im talking about. You will have to visually set the set screw in the right location while the epoxy is pliable. Otherwise you will turn your good Q-jet body into a useless piece of junk.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I could post some pics if that would help?

You can just remove everything as one piece and then its just a matter of getting the little lever on that goes from inside the body on the choke coil shaft to the actual choke plate. Its actually really simple if you use the right technique.

easier said than done when the car was monkied with and you have no starting place.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Cliff will hook you up with a good kit just for your application. Just fill out his form with what you got, and what you may do in the future, and he'll walk you through what you need, i.e.: bigger jets/rods, whatever it is, he knows his stuff. And his kits are made to run on the new fuels.
I'm not exactly sure. I'm am getting a pool of gas that slowly builds up on each side of the intake manifold directly below the center of the carb on both sides.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Rebuilding it will most likely fix that. I doubt it's a design flaw that just popped up. There's a chance it was rebuilt before and wasn't setup properly, or it has never been touched and needs to be rebuilt.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
My guess would be never touched. Everything on this truck is original and untouched, just beat up. Even the original exhaust and mufflers are on it.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
If it were me I'd just rebuild it with a quality kit and swap in the electric choke. The electric choke works much better than the climatic choke. Mine used to run like crap, the climatic choke wasn't working properly, and the carb was just not right. I too thought it was all stock, but someone had rebuilt the carb at least once before. I got a quality kit from Cliff Ruggles, rebuilt it with a size bigger jets he sent with the kit, added the electric choke kit, and it now runs much better. Pulling hills is effortless now, whereas, before it needed more pedal.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Funny how things work out. The guy I got it from already switched it over to electric choke, recently rebuilt it, and epoxied the well plugs. Not bad for $60.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Now that's a good deal man. It's not often you find good deals like that.
Pics?
Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Funny how things work out. The guy I got it from already switched it over to electric choke, recently rebuilt it, and epoxied the well plugs. Not bad for $60.

The Epoxied plugs will leak again they all do. That's why you have to install the threaded set screws.

One other thing if any one does this fix, is that obtaining aluminum set screws will work better so that when the carburetor body heats up the aluminum will heat at a similar rate vs steel/iron set screws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord