Quadrajet question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
I have an 86 gmc 2500 with a 350 v8 and Rochester Quadrajet 17085213. It has electric choke. I am looking at buying a carb from someone local that is 17080298 which is hot air choke and from what I found online was used from 1980-85 on the trucks. My current carb is leaking, so I'm looking at swapping it.

My question is, would I be able to run this carb ( 17080298) on my truck and if so would I lose the choke functionality?

Thanks I advance for any insight...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I can't remember exactly but you may be able to transfer your original choke setup to the replacement carb.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Ah that would be great if that's possible

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes you can remove the entire electric choke assembly and swap it. Just take pictures before you mess with it so you can put it back together the right way.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
OK thanks for the info

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
You could probably rebuild the 17085213 with a good kit. Also, it would be better to get an electric choke conversion kit because it has a plug for the vacuum port on the side of the carb for the hot air choke. Without that plug it could suck air and you would be chasing a vacuum leak.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You could probably rebuild the 17085213 with a good kit. Also, it would be better to get an electric choke conversion kit because it has a plug for the vacuum port on the side of the carb for the hot air choke. Without that plug it could suck air and you would be chasing a vacuum leak.

He can swap the ENTIRE electric choke housing and all. It just bolts in place of the thermostatic choke housing.

The only real way to fix those quad jets from leaking, is to epoxy threaded plugs(set screws) in place of the pressed in plugs.

I got matching drill bits, taps and set screws from my local fastener shop for $30. That gives me enough to do 50 carburetors for both the primary and secondary fuel well plugs.

Primaries use #10-32 and secondaries use 7/16-20. As for the epoxy I haven't found the right one yet so maybe someone has a suggestion on what kinda epoxy to use.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I guess I was wrong. When I changed over my hot air choke carb to electric choke, the electric choke kit came with a plug for the vacuum port on the passenger side. Electric choke carbs don't have that vacuum port. But it's been many sleeps since then, so perhaps I was just thinking of a dream I had about quadrajets. :shrug:

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Do you have a picture of the location of the plugs that need to be epoxied on the carb? I have access to some industrial epoxies used at the oil refineries that would probably work.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I did a google search for quadrajet well plugs and this is what I got. That's the underside of the body of the carburetor, it screws onto the baseplate, and the air horn screws on above the body.

Attachments

• -Well Plugs.JPG
    -Well Plugs.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 378

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
He can swap the ENTIRE electric choke housing and all. It just bolts in place of the thermostatic choke housing.

The only real way to fix those quad jets from leaking, is to epoxy threaded plugs(set screws) in place of the pressed in plugs.

I got matching drill bits, taps and set screws from my local fastener shop for $30. That gives me enough to do 50 carburetors for both the primary and secondary fuel well plugs.

Primaries use #10-32 and secondaries use 7/16-20. As for the epoxy I haven't found the right one yet so maybe someone has a suggestion on what kinda epoxy to use.

I have this stuff which is apparently ethanol resistant.. I've never tried to any degree.. but maybe someone else can?
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/seal-all-adhesive-591-ml-2-oz/834323

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I did a google search for quadrajet well plugs and this is what I got. That's the underside of the body of the carburetor, it screws onto the baseplate, and the air horn screws on above the body.

The two tiny ones and the two large ones are the culprits. You can remove the large ones with a wood screw and side cutters.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
When I ordered my last rebuild kit I also ordered this from Cliff Ruggles. I haven't rebuilt this carb yet, but it is coming soon. As you can see it also includes the plugs. I have to look at my kit again, it may include the taps too.

Attachments

• -Marine Tex.JPG
    -Marine Tex.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 183

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model