Quadrajet for Holley swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
This engine has had some work done to it, though I am not 100 percent sure what. I do know it was built as a 383 stroker, and I've added a Performer manifold.
Either way, a V8 that large with a 4 barrel and no emissions should likely outperform a smaller stock motor with a 2 barrel. A coworker used to have an '81 3/4 ton Dodge with an LA 318 and a four speed. He'd leave the shop and lay rubber in all four gears. I'd run the truck out on some back highway, and be at 120 MPH. I figured this thing was built, balls to the wall. One day it quit me at 32nd and Main in Joplin. I opened it up and it was bone stock, emissions and all. Just had a little 2 barrel. It quit because the little brush in the distributor connecting the cap and rotor was so old and crappy it disintegrated.
It seems like everyone is installing the 750 on their 383, but I finally saw some numbers and the difference between it and the 600 is really not a great deal. The consensus among most of the people who have installed the 600 is hair trigger response, which sounds good to me. I'm sick of putting my foot in the throttle and being ten seconds away from the other half of my carb working (which is undoubtedly a carburetor issue).
In other news I cleared off the sticker in the engine compartment. Before the rebuild this may have been an EGR engine, which might explain why the carb is acting a little stupid. If there was a tag on this carb, it's gone.
I'll be ordering a couple of parts for this holley, and probably install it in a couple of weeks. We'll see what it does. have some money coming in soon, and I'll likely go through the ignition. I've had very good results with the MSD 6 series. There's also a set of roller rockers for 1.5 ratio and stock springs on the local craigslist for $100. Those socket style rockers do add a lot of friction to the engine.
As to Bronco vs. Blazer, the apparent lack of 292 six cylinders anywhere answers that question. I am a big fan of the inline six.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
May I jump in and ask a question? I'm doing just the opposite. I'm going to be putting on a Qjet inplace of a Holley on my 86 k10 350 stock engine. Will I be able to continue to use the intake manifold on it now? Thank you.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
May I jump in and ask a question? I'm doing just the opposite. I'm going to be putting on a Qjet inplace of a Holley on my 86 k10 350 stock engine. Will I be able to continue to use the intake manifold on it now? Thank you.

That depends if your intake will accept a spread bore carb or not.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay, thank you.

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I'd prefer the bronco, mainly because i can't seem to find a 292 to fit in a Blazer anywhere... 300s are a dime a dozen.

I have swapped the holley in, I'm definitely having some growing pains with the holley. any time the load is off of it, or i let out of it, the engine starts missing. it does seem to use less fuel than the quadrajet, however. I also upgraded the ignition, MSD cap/rotor, Accel HEI super coil, 10.4mm Thundervolt wires. I have an MSD 6AL to install. we'll see if that does something. it seems the more spark i feed it, the more it misses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1