Putting on fuel injection! And a bunch of other upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
I got most of the stuff under the hood finished up. I got it started yesterday as well. I primed the fuel pump with the hose disconnected and put into a jug just to make sure the line was good and flushed out. All I had to do was cycle the key a couple of times. The fuel pump was not as loud as everyone was saying it is. I couldn't really hear it over all this trucks awesomeness.
It started almost immediately I was really surprised because I just eyeballed the timing. The idle was a little high but I still need to tune everything yet. I'm borrowing a timing light tomorrow and will set the TPS and the throttle plates.

So far I'm really happy with it
You must be registered for see images attach

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
One thing I'm not happy with is it doesn't come with the proper boot for the injector wires. I guess I have to use calk

I also got the computer mounted. I'm planning on putting the relays and the OBD1 plug in the glove box

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I also got a trans cooler but I have a question for the trans cooler experts...

Does it matter witch the fluid flows through the cooler? Meaning is it supposed to go through the radiator first or second and if it matters witch line is the output on the trans?

What trans cooler did you get? What transmission do you have now? Always run it through the radiator first, then the external cooler, then back to the trans. Lots of people get rid of the radiator cooler because they think that it doesn't help to cool the fluid, but that is terrible thinking. The fluid at the trans cooler is much colder than the temp registered at the gauge, because the trans cooler is placed near the suction side of the radiator where it has already been cooled. The in-radiator trans cooler will help regulate the trans temp while also removing a significant amount of heat from the fluid. It then goes to the external cooler, where it dumps a little bit more heat to ambient air(how much depends on the design and size of the cooler). Doing it that way should allow you to keep your trans fluid temps from getting any more than 100 degrees above ambient air temps even when pulling a heavy load.

I couldn't tell by looking at it, but does that TBI conversion also allow you to do transmission control? I'd be looking real hard at a 4L80e if it does. I believe a stock 91-up 454 TBI would have come stock with a 4L80e, so it should be capable....

Also, that puller fuel pump seems like a terrible idea. I'd be keeping an eye out for a Suburban or Blazer 30 or 40 gal TBI fuel tank if I was you. You might be able to find one from a junkyard that is complete with crossmembers, mounts, sender, and TBI in-tank pump. Most electric pumps aren't designed to pull and will burn up rather quickly in this use case. I'd also be concerned that you don't have a baffle in your tank and you could suck air if the fuel levels drop too low.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
What trans cooler did you get? What transmission do you have now? Always run it through the radiator first, then the external cooler, then back to the trans. Lots of people get rid of the radiator cooler because they think that it doesn't help to cool the fluid, but that is terrible thinking. The fluid at the trans cooler is much colder than the temp registered at the gauge, because the trans cooler is placed near the suction side of the radiator where it has already been cooled. The in-radiator trans cooler will help regulate the trans temp while also removing a significant amount of heat from the fluid. It then goes to the external cooler, where it dumps a little bit more heat to ambient air(how much depends on the design and size of the cooler). Doing it that way should allow you to keep your trans fluid temps from getting any more than 100 degrees above ambient air temps even when pulling a heavy load.

I couldn't tell by looking at it, but does that TBI conversion also allow you to do transmission control? I'd be looking real hard at a 4L80e if it does. I believe a stock 91-up 454 TBI would have come stock with a 4L80e, so it should be capable....

Also, that puller fuel pump seems like a terrible idea. I'd be keeping an eye out for a Suburban or Blazer 30 or 40 gal TBI fuel tank if I was you. You might be able to find one from a junkyard that is complete with crossmembers, mounts, sender, and TBI in-tank pump. Most electric pumps aren't designed to pull and will burn up rather quickly in this use case. I'd also be concerned that you don't have a baffle in your tank and you could suck air if the fuel levels drop too low.

Bextremes, thanks for the info bud I've been searching the internet the last couple of days and came up with doing it exactly like you said. I have a 400 trans and I got this cooler

I can't remember right now if theres a spot on the bottom of the throttle arm for a kick down cable but I don't think it does. Luckily my trans has the electronic switch in the cab above the gas pedal. Well maybe I shouldn't say luckily just yet because I don't know if it works or not but I will soon.

One of the main reasons I got this truck is because I hate 4 speed transmissions. I'm using it mainly for towing and I can't stand it when I'm doing 60 mph and it just constantly shifts between 3rd and 4th.

Yeah for now I'm gona get a spare pump incase it burns up. I'm planning on getting the 87 baffled tanks and internal pumps. One question I have with that is will the sending units send the same kind of signals so my gas guage works the same?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sending unit has same resistance. 87 sending unit have been back ordered at most places couple of weeks back

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Bextremes, thanks for the info bud I've been searching the internet the last couple of days and came up with doing it exactly like you said. I have a 400 trans and I got this cooler

I can't remember right now if theres a spot on the bottom of the throttle arm for a kick down cable but I don't think it does. Luckily my trans has the electronic switch in the cab above the gas pedal. Well maybe I shouldn't say luckily just yet because I don't know if it works or not but I will soon.

One of the main reasons I got this truck is because I hate 4 speed transmissions. I'm using it mainly for towing and I can't stand it when I'm doing 60 mph and it just constantly shifts between 3rd and 4th.

Yeah for now I'm gona get a spare pump incase it burns up. I'm planning on getting the 87 baffled tanks and internal pumps. One question I have with that is will the sending units send the same kind of signals so my gas guage works the same?

That seems like a sufficient sized cooler for most applications. It is bigger than the factory plate cooler on my 97 K2500 454/4L80E.

How much are you normally towing? Its a bit of an odd thing to "hate" 4-speed transmissions. The 4L80E is basically an upgraded TH400 with a 4th gear and a lockup capable torque converter. If you are towing heavy enough that it wants to hunt on flat ground, you just tow with it selected to 3rd instead of OD(which is what most people do anyways). Then when you are driving around unloaded you can run freeway speeds at a decent RPM and also have the benefit of TC lockup at cruise.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That seems like a sufficient sized cooler for most applications. It is bigger than the factory plate cooler on my 97 K2500 454/4L80E.

How much are you normally towing? Its a bit of an odd thing to "hate" 4-speed transmissions. The 4L80E is basically an upgraded TH400 with a 4th gear and a lockup capable torque converter. If you are towing heavy enough that it wants to hunt on flat ground, you just tow with it selected to 3rd instead of OD(which is what most people do anyways). Then when you are driving around unloaded you can run freeway speeds at a decent RPM and also have the benefit of TC lockup at cruise.
Have not confirmed on the later 4l80e, but on earlier units ecu would actually engage lockup when selected in 3rd as well.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Have not confirmed on the later 4l80e, but on earlier units ecu would actually engage lockup when selected in 3rd as well.
That's going to depend on the controller not the year of the trans. If you have it properly built and tuned that's actually a good thing and will help keep trans temps down.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That's going to depend on the controller not the year of the trans. If you have it properly built and tuned that's actually a good thing and will help keep trans temps down.
Treating trans and control as a system.. Was meaning earlier controlled 4l80e. Not sure if on later year 4l80e gm removed the 3rd gear lockup option or not in the ecu. Lock up in 3rd only would apply if shifter is actually in 3rd.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size

A 28 or so foot camper that's around 8k. I use my 2002 silverado z71 5.3 and I think the trans is the 4l60e. At around 65 mph the engine screams in 3rd and lugs in 4th. I really just take back roads and go slow but I have had it on the highway and the transmission frustrates me to no end with the constant shifting. I also had a 16 foot enclosed trailer for about 10 years that weighed around 4k and the same issues towing that with the shifting.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
A buddy of mine helped me tune the FI system tonight and it runs amazing. I fabed up a throttle cable bracket tonight, the paint should be dry by the morning so I'll put that on and possibly take it for a ride if it's not raining.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours putting some digital guage in the stock locations. I think it turned out awesome! I was going to use kydex sheets to make the Mounts out of but that proved to be to time consuming so I used panning.

Here's the end result

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I used a nice plug kit from Amazon to

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Got the grille powder coated, New parking light and new led headlights

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Also got the trans cooler in there

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I've been putting the noico sound deading material that somone on here had a thread about and it makes such a difference. I put it inside of the front doors when I put the new seals in and the doors sound like a 2021 Silverado, nice and solid, no more tin can sound. The truck is so much quieter going down the road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80