Putting on fuel injection! And a bunch of other upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
Well I'm finally getting started on the beast!

You must be registered for see images attach

I ordered this fuel injection kit today
https://pfisys.com/store-3/#!/Complete-TBI-Conversion-Kit-for-454-CI/p/43020132/category=27177706
I had a bunch of questions so I called the guy and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. It should be here by the weekend and I'm going to get started next week.

I have to do a little bit of rearranging in the garage to fit the bull in there so while I am at it I'm going to finally fix the broken door spring, fix the slow AC leak, put some better speakers in it, fix the steering column up because for some reason people love to **** with them on all these trucks. I'm planning on changing all the rubber hoses on the hydro boots system and the fuel system. Hoping to get the windshield washer system restored. Put the frond door window seals in... Bunch of stuff, big plans...

Hoping to post a lot of pictures and hopefully the fuel injection system works well!

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Also gotta service the axle oil, that's gona smell great... Gona do that last of I remember

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
454 TBI's/manifolds are known for freezing up, that's why the hot water adapter between the factory TBI and intake.

Is this issue alleviated with use of an intake with a heat crossover?

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Well I the kit about a week ago and here's everything it comes with. It is missing some of the stuff that you would think it should come with like the distributor gasket and the bushing for the temperature sensor

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I got the O2 sensor in. You have to weld the fitting in

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I got a better mount from Amazon for the fuel pump and I used some thick heater hose rubber behind it to help with some of the pump noise. The bolts are touching the frame so I doubt it will make any difference. The one thing that really sucks is the fittings on the pump are not 3/8,they are more like 5/16"

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I made a nice heat shield for the pump. I drilled and tapped the center two bolt holes and used nuts and bolts on the outer two witch is why the lock washers are on the bolt side of the center two bolts

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I really didn't want to drill a hole in my cab for the wire harness but it is what it is. I wanted to make the smallest hole possible so I practiced passing the harness through different size holes. The absolute smallest hole you can do is 1 1/2". I drilled the hole here

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
There's really nothing to secure to attach the computer to behind the glove box so I bent up a piece of sheet metal and welded it above the heater box. It's hard to tell in the picture because I covered up the heater box with some welding jackets. I painted it all black when I was finished

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I'm going to use foam rubber between the computer and that plate and use velcro straps to secure it

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Side job, I got my whacked ass steering column all back to original (except for the steering wheel). Hopefully I can get the cruise control working again

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I'm doing a ton of extra stuff along the way to. I took the cover off of the wiper rod box or whatever it's called to clean it out and re calk it. I also had to clean and repaint in there where I welded that plate for the computer.

I took the dash and all the ductwork out. The wife cleaned the ductwork out and the 35 years of filth behind the dash.

I'm going to put some digital guages on the instrument cluster. Getting rid of the clock and putting a tac in that hole, really just so I can use it for setting my idle on the FI system because I don't have a fancy timing light with the tac.

I got a nice gear reduction starter from summit I'm going to put on.

I left off tonight with about half of the wires tidyed up. Amazon is bringing me more wire loom tomorrow so I'm hoping to finish up the wires early next week. I have to replace all of the wire loom because it's in terrible shape.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I also got a trans cooler but I have a question for the trans cooler experts...

Does it matter witch the fluid flows through the cooler? Meaning is it supposed to go through the radiator first or second and if it matters witch line is the output on the trans?

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Looks like your doing a good job...keep at it! If you need any tuning help feel free to let me know. I tune engines for my living. That is a great looking truck!

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
Looks like your doing a good job...keep at it! If you need any tuning help feel free to let me know. I tune engines for my living. That is a great looking truck!
Thanks man will do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400