Purchasing an Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I believe it's just an air filter and some synthetic oil, but it includes a sticker that "proves" you used it. I guess the synthetic oil is what they are relying on to extend the warranty, basically.

A good filter and synthetic oil, that damn thing will last forever. I agree with you on the Quincly. If funds aren't a big issue, go for the quality unit. An air compressor isn't like a floor jack where you use if for 5-8 years and get a new one. It can realistically last your lifetime like you mentioned. As said, mine is over 20 years, guessing 24 years since my duaghter is 23, and I have changed the oil about every 4-5 years and with not everyday use. I just change it when it starts looking dark gold instead of light gold.

stewarts

Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
5L
A good filter and synthetic oil, that damn thing will last forever.

Tell me bout that. Thought so too until mine broke. No happily ever after at all^^ okay... could be that the filter wasn't THAT good. But what do I know about filters. I just started to look around for a new air compressor on the net and decided to try air compressor rental this time. Maybe that will turn out to my benefit in the end this time.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You can't beat a Quincy, but the price of admission was too much for my needs. I've had this one for close to two years now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gallon-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html

A Harbor Freight compressor? Before you wrinkle up your nose in disdain and mutter something about cheap crap from China, you should know that the US General compressors are made in South Carolina...in the same factory that makes Bel Aire compressors.

I paid $640 + tax after using a 20% coupon with the sale price. Some of the 20% coupons say you can't use them for compressors or tool cabinets but at the main warehouse in Cali they don't care and I've used them for both.

No problems with mine so far. When using the da sander or blast cabinet non-stop the pressure stays at around 90 psi, then catches up when I take a short break.

The only issue for some would be the noise level. It uses a high speed pump to produce the rated cfm and it's much louder than a low speed unit llike the Quincy. Fortunately, I have a separate storage area off the garage and the compressor sits behind a closed door so the noise level isn't an issue, but it would bother me if it were in the shop area.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The Kobalt brand compressors are made by ABAC in South Carolina, same factory as the US Generals.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
:shrug:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The Kobalt brand compressors are made by ABAC in South Carolina, same factory as the US Generals.

I retract that. I had found a post on another forum where someone had said their Kobalt compressor owner's manual said to contact ABAC for parts and service, but it didn't specify which compressor. Looking at parts info for the 80 gal. TQ3126 keeps coming up as a Campbell Hausfeld parts page, at least the pump assy anyways.

It's tough to nail down the origin of these. Looking at the Kobalt website, the 80 gal unit they show is a 3 cylinder single-stage unit that looks nothing like the Lowes model. Maybe the TQ3126 is a CH closeout before they went to the current 3 cylinder model.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For real??? You're going to pay $75 for deilivery of an air compressor??? When you own a truck??? Holy hell, I'm in the wrong biz. I need to get my box van fired up and start delivering air compressors.
I myself would avoid anything Campbell Hausfield. Haven't have good luck with their products and know others as well. What happened to that Ingersoll Rand unit from Tractor Supply you were talking about getting moons ago??? Thats what I'd be buying. And I'd carry it home in the back of my pick up.
You're nuts if you think you need dual stage. Or do you mean twin cyliders?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
For real??? You're going to pay $75 for deilivery of an air compressor??? When you own a truck??? Holy hell, I'm in the wrong biz. I need to get my box van fired up and start delivering air compressors.
I myself would avoid anything Campbell Hausfield. Haven't have good luck with their products and know others as well. What happened to that Ingersoll Rand unit from Tractor Supply you were talking about getting moons ago??? Thats what I'd be buying. And I'd carry it home in the back of my pick up.
You're nuts if you think you need dual stage. Or do you mean twin cyliders?

Tractor Supply doesnt offer a delivery service. I have no help to load and unload one at house. A local moving service is gonna charge $150 to move a new air compressor to my house. I cant haul air compressor on my truck cause it would sit higher than the cab and thats illegal to the load higher than a truck cab. Same rules apply to hauling a air compressor as it does for a refrigarator.

I guess you missed the post where POPS told me to buy 80 gallon dual stage for sandblasting and da sanding.

Read post #7

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66447#post66447

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Tractor Supply doesnt offer a delivery service. I have no help to load and unload one at house. A local moving service is gonna charge $150 to move a new air compressor to my house. I cant haul air compressor on my truck cause it would sit higher than the cab and thats illegal to the load higher than a truck cab. Same rules apply to hauling a air compressor as it does for a refrigarator.

I guess you missed the post where POPS told me to buy 80 gallon dual stage for sandblasting and da sanding.

Read post #7

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66447#post66447

Cripes, are you allowed to do ANYTHING in VA? Who runs that place anyways, ******?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Cripes, are you allowed to do ANYTHING in VA? Who runs that place anyways, ******?

Now you know why keep saying I'm moving out of Va at times on here. Tired of the BS that VA has.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That is the stupidest law I have herd of so far, I make Fun of California being so strict but your state takes the cake.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So what. You can lay the compressor down in the crate or box, then you take the bottom off the crate or box, and let the compressor slide out the bottom and you tip it off the truck and stand it up at the same time, then slide the box off over the top. You can do that yourself, and NOT break any over the cab laws. If the compressor has oil in it already, just lay the top part up on a stack of carboard to keep the oil toward the bottom of the crankcase instead of being able to flow to the top of the cylinders. It can be done dawg. Just gotta be smarter than the box it came in, and :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, it will be top heavy as a ****, so just use some caution and have your wife help steady the box as you tip it down out of the truck. She don't need to be strong, just be in the way of the compressor to steady the compressor and keep it from rolling her way as it comes out. It's easy. I did mine myself, and even moved it several times myself by laying it down propped up at the motor end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68