Pumping gas is a pain!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gardendelite

Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all, hope the summer finds you turning wrenches. Quick question. Whenever I use public gas stations with gas fume capture hoses, the gas almost immediately backs up and shut the flow off. It also usually spits fuel out onto the ground. I have to hold the hose at the perfect angle and pump gas as slow as it will go. Needless to say, it is a pain in the gas. I have a 75 K10. Anyone try putting different year filler hose and neck on?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello all, hope the summer finds you turning wrenches. Quick question. Whenever I use public gas stations with gas fume capture hoses, the gas almost immediately backs up and shut the flow off. It also usually spits fuel out onto the ground. I have to hold the hose at the perfect angle and pump gas as slow as it will go. Needless to say, it is a pain in the gas. I have a 75 K10. Anyone try putting different year filler hose and neck on?
I'm in the southern part of Snohomish county and my shop is in Redmond. I know the type of hose you are talking about. On your tank on your truck there are two problem areas that could cause this. There is a smaller line I think it's 3/4" that runs from the tank to the filler neck up close to the body on the inside, and then there is the larger one that goes from the filler to the tank. If either of these hoses gets kinked or partially kinked it can cause your symptoms. Look them over your problem is in one of those two places.

BTW, my truck fills fine from those style pumps, and I'm just saying that so you know it's possible for a normal fill on one of these trucks with that style pump.

Gardendelite

Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies. My truck hasn't been on the road for awhile but I am getting closer to getting it running. I will check the hoses to see if that is the problem.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
My 78 c20 with the saddle tanks does the same thing. I'll have to check the hoses too.

1984K30

Reaction score
First Name
t
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
7.4L
My 76 C20 same bs, but I have to hold the pump upside down and fuel usually spills. Gonna have to drop the tank, the vent hose must of fell off..

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Only thing I do special is hang the nozzle out as far as I can and it pumps good And I have a flatbed lol. I worked at a place with a 99 chevy 1 ton flatbed and would only full if you drove up on a 4x4 block.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My suburban never has had an issue. I can put any nozzle on full blast. I imagine it's the 90 degree curve for the pickups, plus today's sensitive nozzles. Try other stations.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
X2, check for kinks, buts I've had luck running on the 2nd notch out of 3 to slow it down enough. I had more issues on my Monte Carlo than the suburban, but the slower speed seemed to help on all but the coldest days, when I would just lose patience and throw in enough gas to get me into warmer weather so I could deal with it then :emotions133:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD