Gas tank not taking fuel....WTF??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
So I finally think I've got my old truck lined back out and everything working right again. I go to get gas today, and start pumping gas into my left side tank. It was almost completely empty when I got to the gas station. I get 20 dollars worth in it and my filler neck fills up and it won't take anymore gas at all. It only put it at a half a tank. I ran a hose through my filler neck and couldn't feel any blockage and if there was why would it take half a tank?? Could it be a plugged vent line?? Maybe after a half a tank the vapors had no where else to go and it just got pressure in it??

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sometimes I have to hold up on the pump handle or it just clicks when I squeeze the trigger.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sometimes turning the handle on an angle helps to roll the fuel down the tube.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I tried twisting and turning every which way and it just kept filling up the filler neck. It never did work but after I drove it a little more it finally took some fuel. I had to make a trip about 80 miles tonight and of course had to get fuel on the trip. I had the same thing happen on both tanks. The only thing I could think to do way out in the middle of no where and both tanks on empty was pop the hood and cut the vent line off with my knife at the charcoal canister. As soon as I did that it started taking fuel just fine. So I guess my canister is plugged up or something.

Don.V

Reaction score
First Name
donny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I tried twisting and turning every which way and it just kept filling up the filler neck. It never did work but after I drove it a little more it finally took some fuel. I had to make a trip about 80 miles tonight and of course had to get fuel on the trip. I had the same thing happen on both tanks. The only thing I could think to do way out in the middle of no where and both tanks on empty was pop the hood and cut the vent line off with my knife at the charcoal canister. As soon as I did that it started taking fuel just fine. So I guess my canister is plugged up or something.
i have the exact same problem! for years i had that problem, i even bought a new sending unit years back and never installed it. its just my driver side tank thou, i dont even know if my passenger side tank is hook up. can u give more details on which line is the vent line?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size

For sure , I had the same thing happen my square several years back , it would just push fuel and air back up the filler neck and trip the pump off. I rerouted both my vent line's from both tanks up to the core support in the front up behind the headlight's with all new line's and put the little one way valve's on the end , work's great now.

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels