'Puff' on start up! valve seals need replacing....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Yes Sir - ride her out...
Oh I do lol. Daily. And cuz the 700r4 I can even keep up with the flow of drivers on Atlanta’s highways (when it’s not rush hour obviously)

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I bought this jobby for the very reason you have stated.
Puff on startup and it won't pass DEQ emissions anymore.
New valve seals are on the bench and just need to installed.

I have not tested it thus far, but it looks simple enough and is priced pretty good for the average home mechanic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I could try that for sure. That spring compressor might work too.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
If it's only a puff, I'd leave the seals on the bench and save 'em for the next valve job, but I'm lazy when it comes to what I consider to be an inconvenience but not a necessity. Put 20K more miles on it and it'll still be doing exactly the same thing. As long as your plugs aren't getting oily, it shouldn't affect anything else. If there's carbon built up on the pistons and valves (borescopes are your friend), spray water through the carb and the resulting steam will help clean 'em.

You have well lubricated valve stems/guides :D

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sounds like what's happening is oil is slowing leaking past guides into cylinder(s) when engine is not running. If your heads don't have push-on seals, oil leaking past guides can be at least temporally cured by installing these "umbrellas" seals on the valve stems under the retainers. Al they do is deflect oil away from the valve stems.

https://www.amazon.com/Competition-...ams+502-16&qid=1617067594&s=automotive&sr=1-1

You must be registered for see images attach

Madmacs

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
Valve seals dry rot ,crack and leak oil . I've replaced many. I always use a nylon rope, and umbrella seals. Set valves ,when tightening turn push rod , when push rod stops , tighten slowly 3/4

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Don't think I've EVER seen a "dry rotted" valve seal, unless the engine has not run in over 50 years?.......or left open to the elements

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't think I've EVER seen a "dry rotted" valve seal, unless the engine has not run in over 50 years?.......or left open to the elements
Heat hardens and even cracks them.So they do dry out and loose elasticity. And oil leaks past

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I doubt very much that they are "dry" running in an oil soaked environment. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The oil will not leak past them if they are gone. the engine sucks the oil down the guides......yeah I know tomatoes, tomahtos

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I doubt very much that they are "dry" running in an oil soaked environment. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The oil will not leak past them if they are gone. the engine sucks the oil down the guides......yeah I know tomatoes, tomahtos

Rubber "dry rot" has nothing to do with rubber actually being dried out. It is a condition that occurs from the polymer chains breaking down. UV, heat, exposure to hydrocarbons, and various other things can cause the polymer chains in rubber to break down. They will break down slower in a consistently run engine, due to stabilizing compounds that are placed in the rubber during manufacture being forced throughout the rubber from being compressed and moved around. A sitting engine will not have these actions and it will allow the polymer chains in the rubber to break down faster. This is why an engine that has sat for any amount of time will often start leaking as soon as it is run, whereas an engine that has run consistently for 200k+ miles can be still completely leak free.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rubber "dry rot" has nothing to do with rubber actually being dried out. It is a condition that occurs from the polymer chains breaking down. UV, heat, exposure to hydrocarbons, and various other things can cause the polymer chains in rubber to break down. They will break down slower in a consistently run engine, due to stabilizing compounds that are placed in the rubber during manufacture being forced throughout the rubber from being compressed and moved around. A sitting engine will not have these actions and it will allow the polymer chains in the rubber to break down faster. This is why an engine that has sat for any amount of time will often start leaking as soon as it is run, whereas an engine that has run consistently for 200k+ miles can be still completely leak free.
The old fashioned valve seals were just little 'o' rings also.Understanding that rubber gets hard with age,heat. Even oil isnt kind to rubber is.That is why oil soaked hoses under the hood can go bad.I still have oil seals brand new from 25 years ago in my shop.No way I will ever use them,they are just in a drawer.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Jeez, guys....SORRRRRRYYYYY...... Was just making a comment on the "dry" part....if they have oil on them how "dry" can they be.....old, hard, cracked etc. I know.......kinda describes me,....well maybe not hard

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Remove those fine oil soaked seals then and see how much oil leaks past those perfectly good valves guides then.Geesh.