PSA: Ceramic brake pads avoid if you tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Thought I'd pass this on, incase it helps someone avoid an oh **** moment.....or worse.

Installed a set of ceramic front pads about 7 weeks ago. They've been fine driving the 'burb locally, and just about zero dust, with a nice firm pedal. I was very pleased..........until this past Friday night, towing our 2,200lb Starcraft pop-up tent trailer, in the Sierra Mountain of central CA.

Topped out over the mountain pass into Cedar Grove area of Kings Canyon NP, at 7,500'. Just a couple miles down the steep backside, and I'm feeling a spongy pedal that's getting closer to the floor with each application of the brakes. By the time I got us pulled over and stopped, the pedal was against the floor mat.

The front brakes were just smoldering hot.

A little background info.......we've been going to this part of Kings Canyon for 6 seasons, hauling the same camper, over the same road, loaded the same, and for the first 3 seasons, I didn't even have brakes on the camper. Previously, I've always run semi-metallics on everything, including the 'burb. Never an issue. Decided I'd try the ceramics this time, thinking they'd do even better than metallics.

Oops.....shoulda done my homework a little better. Apparently (as I'm reading tonight via a Google search) these things don't disappate heat well, and once hot, well, you know the rest of the story.

Anyway, wound up getting down the 20mi grade in 1st and 2nd, with the trailer brake controller set on maximum output, and did similarly today, coming home.

These POS's will be on the counter at NAPA, first thing in the morning.

Here's a partial view of the road down into the canyon....
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good Info to have. Glad you and the family are all safe and sound as well as the Burb !!!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Good info thanks for sharing, and glad disaster was averted!

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Just picked up a set of Wagner Severe Duty for $40. These are more like what I'd expect to be sold for a 'burb, or any full size truck/suv that can tow and haul.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just picked up a set of Wagner Severe Duty for $40. These are more like what I'd expect to be sold for a 'burb, or any full size truck/suv that can tow and haul.

So they didn't damage the rotors? :popcorn:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
No, I don't believe the rotors are damaged. I didn't let it sit with the pads in one spot, or sit with the brakes held "on" so there's no warping.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's still possible if they got that hot, they could certainly have a good glaze on them and my need a light turning. Maybe even just hit them with some sandpaper at least.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I'll take a closer look, later when I install the Wagners. Although, as agressive as they are, I'm pretty sure they strip the rotors with the first couple stops.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I had to do a panic stop yesterday in the rain with the boat on the back at 40 mph. That fugger dug right down and hooked up and handled it beautifully. :grd: I as waiting for the front wheels to lockup but she did good. :)

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade