Protecting a new fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtis_rak

Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 High Sierra
Engine Size
305ci
I just received a new fuel tank from Rock Auto and I don't want it to end up looking like my old one (rusted and generally ****** looking).

I like the look of a new silver tank, but if I don't do something with it eventually it will look shabby. I was thinking about spraying it with clear rock guard from a spray can.

This is obviously the cheap way to "maybe" extend the silver look but has anyone else tried any other approaches to this that stand the test of time?

Thx

Curtis
75 GMC High Sierra

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Honestly, I've had my new tank uncovered and unshielded for the last 4 years, and it still looks good as new.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Location makes a difference. I put a new tank in my stepside a few years ago and it's looking a little crusty. I can't remember for sure, but I think I gave it a coat of clear on it before I installed it.

I have to remove it soon for some other repairs, I planned on scuffing it up and painting it with cast iron gray manifold paint. That stuff holds up pretty well.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you coat it with POR-15 Silver it will look good - and last a wicked long time. Since its new steel, it will have to be etched with Metal Prep prior to applying the POR-15. I couldn't find any images of a square body gas tank that had been coated with POR-15 Silver, but here are a couple of Corvette tanks that had been done that way:

You must be registered for see images attach

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I thought they had a rust-inhibitor coating on them? Does it come off that easy?

curtis_rak

Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 High Sierra
Engine Size
305ci
That POR looks great... I forgot they had a silver coloured one. I'm so used to just using and seeing black POR all the time.

Thx!

Curtis
75 GMC High Sierra

Jim Hensley

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Rustolium makes a nice looking stainless steel pray paint in the tall industrial line of paint.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you coat it with POR-15 Silver it will look good - and last a wicked long time. Since its new steel, it will have to be etched with Metal Prep prior to applying the POR-15. I couldn't find any images of a square body gas tank that had been coated with POR-15 Silver, but here are a couple of Corvette tanks that had been done that way:

Oh yeah-----that looks good! I think the route I'm taking!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS