Proper routing of PS hoses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatDiablo

Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So, I've just about got all of the leaks sorted on my 1984 K10, but it's still leaking PS fluid. I cleaned it up and tracked it to a leak in one of the hoses.

The only thing that I can see would have caused the leak is the fact that the rubber parts of the pressure and return hoses are rubbing against each other.

My questions:

- is the friction of these two hoses against each other under normal driving conditions enough to cause a leak?

- if so, what's the proper routing of these hoses to prevent this?

Seems like an easy enough job- gonna replace them with Delco parts unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks!

Mat

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
1) Yes
2) Use a hose spacer or, tie the 2 hoses together.

Pix would help a lot.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Is there not a double sided hold down clamp on top of the frame, where those lines cross over? Might b all thats needed. If the clamp is in place and u still have a problem then refer to #2 above. I can get a pic of the clamp in mine tomorro if u need. Dark and raining right now.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I was talkin something like this but i guess that wont help the rubber parts of the lines. Refer to #2:D

You must be registered for see images attach

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I was talkin something like this but i guess that wont help the rubber parts of the lines. Refer to #2:D

I googled it

MatDiablo

Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I googled it

I did too, but my word combo wasn't as accurate as yours. :)

Thanks all- sourcing the bracket/clamp now; high temp zip ties and Wrapit will keep me going for now.

MatDiablo

Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks again for the insight here, folks. I got the hoses, but since it’s been a torrential rain here for the last few days, I wasn’t able to install before I had to head over a very snowy pass today. So here’s my 10min/5dollar Home Depot solution:

There clearly needs to be a bracket separating these two hoses. Where they rub, there’s a noticeable thumbprint-size dimple, and I’m losing most of my fluid every 2 weeks or so.

So:

Waterweld on first, may or may not do anything, but can’t hurt. Wrapped the fuse tape over it, then put the clamps on and secured them in the middle so that the hoses stay away from each other.

And I should be good to get over the pass, eh?

Wish me luck! (Sorry for the crap photo angles/quality- I’m working outside on wet ground...)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
A new hose should be less than fifty dollars. And the return line will be like 3 dollars or less for a foot and a couple of new hose clamps is nothing.

Then you can tweak one of the hard lines enough so they don’t touch. You’ve probably spent half as much money on rigging it up opposed to fixing it the right way and only once lol

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
An old trick to keep them from touching each other is to get a small piece of bigger diameter hose like heater hose and cut it the long way on one side and slip it over one of the hoses.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I would have replaced the lines first too but tying the lines together should help his problem.

MatDiablo

Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Understood on fixing it correctly the first time, but my tools are in the shop that I use, and I needed to fix this outdoors quickly with the supplies I had on hand- basically what you see here and a leatherman.

I’ve got the new hoses and will replace later this week. Thanks again for the tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia