Proper process for painting most of your interior parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
That's amazing... I would have gotten so much over-spray on the hood.

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have used and am still using Colorbond LVP bought from LMC. I have done the entity of the headliner trim and all the window trim. I am converting my all smurf blue Suburban to a blazer grey interior. The colorbond is amazing stuff. Spendy...but worth it, in my opinion. I have used 4 cans so far to do all the interior trim and now and doing the door panels.

I washed / cleaned all the parts with greased lightning first to remove any dirt / grease / grime. Then I wiped down the entire painting surface with 100% rubbing alcohol on a lint free rag. I have used 2 coats on each panel and when dry; you cannot tell that they were “painted”. It is painstaking but rewarding. Here is a of the pic of the progress.

I cannot more highly recommend the colorbond lvp product.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s all in the prep ! Just like painting , if you want good results, you must work for them . Awesome job looks great

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Great info guys!!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@curcuitguy,

Great write up. I like the pics of the products you used. I need to repaint my interior door panels bad. I will look for this brand, I use this brand striper and know it's good products. Now, my door panels were molded in kind of a off white. And when I rebuilt my truck a shop I heard of repainted my door panels, and kick panels. The kick panels still look good, but my door panels look terrible.

bikerdave

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
great job thank you

swilson143

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
6.0L LQ4
Good info, Thanks for posting!

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
SEM is great stuff, I've used the landau black and gray before with nice results.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I would add one more step to the process and clear coat the parts. I painted most of my interior 7 years ago. It lasted pretty good except the top of the door panels. Heat and arm sweat does a number on them. I 'm thinking the clear coat will help.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would add one more step to the process and clear coat the parts. I painted most of my interior 7 years ago. It lasted pretty good except the top of the door panels. Heat and arm sweat does a number on them. I 'm thinking the clear coat will help.
Could help for sure. Be very cautious of stronger solvents on different surfaces. I’d test an inconspicuous area first.
Not a plastics expert but painted a valance for a car recently. Used SEM flexible plastic bumper blah blah blah primer first.
I literally had to “dust” on a few coats as a wet coat would eat it up. Had a few filler spots due to that. In the end it bonded great. Been under the front of a Mustang for a couple years getting beat by rain and rocks.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So used some SEM on my carpet and velour looking door panels. Happy with results. Bonds well to the vinyl piping on the carpeted panels.
Question is how well does SEM bond to say 2k primer or steel surfaces?
Unsure yet, all my plastic in the cab is good and don’t want to paint it. But a couple of the roof trim pieces are steel and starting to rust.
Going to be a connundrum of non matching color parts unless I can at least do the A&B pillar trim (metal and plastic) the “same” color.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So used some SEM on my carpet and velour looking door panels. Happy with results. Bonds well to the vinyl piping on the carpeted panels.
Question is how well does SEM bond to say 2k primer or steel surfaces?
Unsure yet, all my plastic in the cab is good and don’t want to paint it. But a couple of the roof trim pieces are steel and starting to rust.
Going to be a connundrum of non matching color parts unless I can at least do the A&B pillar trim (metal and plastic) the “same” color.

On steel, SEM bonds well to primer and factory GM paint too. I have never tried it on bare steel.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Excellent

Arizona Ranger K5

Reaction score
First Name
Harper
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado package
Engine Size
350/TH350/NP208/GM12/4.56
I am in the process of painting my interior from silver/gray to tan. I didn't get a pic of the driver's door prepaint, but you get the picture (no pun intended). I took it all apart, and painted each piece. even the gray fabric piece above the arm rest. Paint used: Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel "Sand"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990