Proper process for painting most of your interior parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BIG-C
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton Stepside
Engine Size
350 / 5.7
Process for proper painting of most interior parts:

You will need:

1 CAN KLEAN-STRIP PREP-ALL
1 CAN KLEAN-STRIP BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER
2 CANS SEM COLOR COAT

STEP 1: Wash each part with regular dish washing soap and a brush, must get all the dirt and any silicone "interior dressing" off then dry each part completely. "I had my wife do this for me in the kitchen as she has so much free time, thanks babe!"

STEP 2: If the part is metal then use a 3M SCOTCH PAD to rough up the surface. With a lint free rag wipe the part down with PREP-ALL, let dry. "Skip this step if the part is plastic"

STEP 3 : For plastic wipe each part down with PREP-ALL and a lint free rag, let dry. This will remove the last of any silicone and dirt that the washing with soap did not remove.

STEP 4: Once dry then spray a lite coat of ADHESION PROMOTER to each part about 10 min before your ready to paint. This will give the paint something to bite to, also helps a bunch if it’s a plastic part as these may be flexed a bit after its painted.

STEP 5: Final step. Now apply the SEM COLOR COAT spray paint. Make sure the air temp is 60 degrees or higher and the product your painting is the same to the relevant air temp. I use lite coats at first but as these tend to dry fast I then put the costs on heaver so I can get an even and consistent sheen once dry.

All should be dry to the touch in 30 min and ready to install in 24 hrs.

Hope this help all that are are this point in their restoration process.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Awesome info, thanks for the writeup!

Project79'

Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
350 sbc centerbolt heads
Great thread. Actually in the process of doing all my plastics just like the picture you posted. Will definitely use this process!

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
Unless you want a huge mistake with your colored interior parts ( I did this and Wow What an education ) I have tan interior and I tried to touch it up ? Well the Acetone in the spray can will make you black spot a huge spot. How I did not know, but soon learned, ALL interior parts are black at the factory when they were made, and then painted to the customer choice. So be forewarned, touch up with a spray can and shoot a little bit into the cans cap and use a paper match stick and gently touch any spots that have been nicked. But as the OP has instructed, get a clean garage and a lot of time and clean and respray the scuffed up interior panels.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
great write up!! :dogpile:

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Great write-up! I'm a newbie and am really getting an education on this site. Thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Unless you want a huge mistake with your colored interior parts ( I did this and Wow What an education ) I have tan interior and I tried to touch it up ? Well the Acetone in the spray can will make you black spot a huge spot. How I did not know, but soon learned, ALL interior parts are black at the factory when they were made, and then painted to the customer choice. So be forewarned, touch up with a spray can and shoot a little bit into the cans cap and use a paper match stick and gently touch any spots that have been nicked. But as the OP has instructed, get a clean garage and a lot of time and clean and respray the scuffed up interior panels.

Just saw this, but it needs corrected. The plastic panels were molded in color at the factory, not painted later on. Any panel that was painted, was more than likely a replacement part.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Very informative write-up for those of use that are new to painting interior parts. Thanks for taking the time to share this information, especially the proper products with pictures! Now I know where I went wrong in the past!

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Nice write up. I'll be using these steps to re-do all of my interior panels.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Is this still the same for the dash pad?

Steve78 k10

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good info. I literally just finished all my kick panels and door panels. I did exactly like you have just different brand on the adhesion promoter and the paint. I went with dupli color. Turned out good would post pics of my rebuild but Everytime I try to upload a pic there is a file problem.

jeremyb

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you for this write up. I followed it exactly and they turned out as good as new. Nothing like saving a few hundred bucks!!

Brian Bonehill

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have used and am still using Colorbond LVP bought from LMC. I have done the entity of the headliner trim and all the window trim. I am converting my all smurf blue Suburban to a blazer grey interior. The colorbond is amazing stuff. Spendy...but worth it, in my opinion. I have used 4 cans so far to do all the interior trim and now and doing the door panels.

I washed / cleaned all the parts with greased lightning first to remove any dirt / grease / grime. Then I wiped down the entire painting surface with 100% rubbing alcohol on a lint free rag. I have used 2 coats on each panel and when dry; you cannot tell that they were “painted”. It is painstaking but rewarding. Here is a of the pic of the progress.

I cannot more highly recommend the colorbond lvp product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: