Priming a New Water Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does know the procedure on how to prime a new water pump? Do you have to prime a New Pump?
1989, 350, 90,000 miles
Replaced the pump about a year ago this may be the culprit to the humming whining noise that is very inconsistent does this sitting still while idling especially when cold?
May also be the steering pump replaced two years ago reman.
All pulleys recently replaced! Also new alternator year and half ago
Merry Christmas !

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m not saying I’m doing it the right way, but I’ve not once ever primed a water pump. Good question tho.

I have heard of people getting a pocket and having to burp a system, but it’s never happened to me.

Good luck on the project and keep us posted. Merry Christmas!

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As far as a humming/whining noise, could be. I’ve had them groan, squeak and every sort of sound.

A whining sound could be more indicative of something with gears- like a steering pump. I suppose it could be timing gears but I’ve had ones that were completely shot and didn’t make any whining sound.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@ChuckN Could be Steering pump! Replaced the gearbox From Rock Auto. Reman and steering was very stiff hard to turn would not return to center, Pulled it out and installed a Redhead Box Better but not perfect and it failed clicking snapping sound? Got a warranty box from redhead same make me think the pump may have some issues.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
First, no, the water pump does not ever need to be primed. Stop guessing at the problem. That's the last thing you want to do.. Here's a list of possible sources for the noise... Alternator, P/S pump, water pump, AC compressor if equipped, A.I.R. pump if equipped, and idler pulley if equipped.. And just about anything else driven by a belt.

Here's the procedure for isolating the source.. Remove the belts, one at a time and run the engine after each removal.. When the belt is removed from the item that's making the noise, the noise will no longer be heard.....

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@RustyPile, Thanks only one belt No AC, No A.I.R. pump New Idler Pulley replaced last week just the pulley not the tensioner, Used a Mechanics Stethoscope the humming whining was not happening very intermittent, Really loud when very cold outside at startup

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
@RustyPile, Thanks only one belt No AC, No A.I.R. pump New Idler Pulley replaced last week just the pulley not the tensioner, Used a Mechanics Stethoscope the humming whining was not happening very intermittent, Really loud when very cold outside at startup
Does this mean you have a serpentine belt system?? It's normal to assume the new items are not the source, but do not arbitrarily rule them out. Unless the idler pulley was replaced in an attempt to cure the noise, it should not be ruled out... If the noise is more prevalent when cold, then don't wait for things to get warm before the check.. Do the stethoscope check when things are cold.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@RustyPile yes one serpentine belt will check when cold start, i can also hear it while driving in town 25 mph etc

pduffyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I put a gm serpentine kit on my 350 v8. All was great until the rear bearing on my alternator cs130 quit. The alternator is a reman in the GM performance 12497698 kit, and the rear bearing is too small in the stock 105A cs130. But that squeal was there all the time and got worse with rpm. I replaced it with an after market Altenator.

Average Joe

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I never had to prime a water pump. Mostly working on my hot rods. I have found it best to burp the cooling system while jacking up the front end of my cars as far as I can. Making the radiator the highest possible point for air to escape. I only ever had bad experiences with wrong casted Edelbrock SBF water pumps.
I still recommend always jacking up the front end and burping the systems well. JMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1