Pressure Buildup in Gas Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emgeem

Reaction score
First Name
Monte
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350ci
It's been about 10 years since I last drove my 85 LWB, and have a question. Is it normal for the fuel tank to pressurize when the motor is running? I swapped out the manual fuel pump with a Holley Red and my tank is building up pressure after running the motor. When I did the swap I just connected the supply line to the carb to the pump. I have eliminated the under hood canister and what I assume is a return line. None of the lines are plugged intentionally they are still running up the frame to where the manual pump was. I don't remember if the tank used to pressurize back when the truck was my daily driver. Is this normal or do I need to vent the tank somehow?

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
IDK the answer, but I would like to know too. I just bought an 87 V10 suburban silverado, and I feel the pressure come out when I take the cap off to put gas in it.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You absoluteley need to vent the tank! Reinstall the canister and reconnect the vent line. Is your new pump correct for not having a return or pressure regulator?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You really don't need to have the canister, you just need to make sure the vent line that went to it is clear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04