Pre-welded stake pockets or Bolt on? How good of quality is the aftermarket bedsides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe, Short box Stepside.
Engine Size
Yeah, they are close to $3k when done. The hidden fasteners are basically the same price so might as well. Also, for me, everything is custom as not a lot of factory fleet sides with wood floor.
I really like that weathered barn wood look too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Welcome Blair and nice truck... really nice! We don't need to see pics to believe unless the poster comes across like a dick...

To answer your question... well, we need more pics!
Serious here, the quality of oversea parts is consistently inconsistent, so we can't really give a solid answer. The metal is thinner than stock, and sometimes a part like a cab corner is so bad you might think it's for a Ford. Other times these parts are really awesome. As far as stake pockets...
man with a truck like yours i would hesitate to carry a cooler in the back. When I think of bed pockets I think of carrying a load of firewood. Not for
your truck, never. Sorry can't give a more solid answer, but sheet metal is a gamble. Still, we're pleased we can even get crappy parts. Better than
**** all.

LoL..:waytogo:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Good lookin' truck

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I agree. I think the real issue is how well they were able to coat inside the pockets after they were spot welded. With the pockets off they can get a healthy primer, paint and finish coat for extra protection. I don't think this is much of a problem inland but when you are close to the ocean anything not coated well will rust at an accelerated rate. Really curious if anyone has purchased the new style and their experience.

Thanks
Take the pocket right out and weld a cover. Buy a nice little pressure washer and hook up a decent water filter with charcoal to pull out the chlorine and whatever mind altering drugs in the water supply. Park that awesome stepper in an air conditioned garage.

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's a brilliant idea for washing. I am going to do that for sure. Do you have this kind of setup?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In a nutshell the OEM boxes come with stake pockets that are bolted on, the new aftermarket bedsides have them already welded on.
I'm confused, I have never seen bolt on stake pockets, as far as I know my stepper is OEM, and the pockets are welded on.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
That's a brilliant idea for washing. I am going to do that for sure. Do you have this kind of setup?
Umm, I kinda don't wash my vehicles much, at all, like never. But I do knock the chunks off.

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm confused, I have never seen bolt on stake pockets, as far as I know my stepper is OEM, and the pockets are welded on.

If you look on LMC and other sights the pockets are sold individually are sold individually from the sides. Brothers trucks sells them spot welded on the sides as one piece. I'm overseas and my truck is back in the USA so I can't take pictures or look.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, I see. I thought you meant that they originally came bolted.

I suppose that you could put seam sealer between the parts if you used the bolted style, but then the bolt holes would be a possible place for rust to develop.

Thats the problem with living near the salt air, definitely not something we have to worry about in the Dakotas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat