Pre-welded stake pockets or Bolt on? How good of quality is the aftermarket bedsides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe, Short box Stepside.
Engine Size
Considering replacing the Box sides on my 75 Stepside. My concern is the quality of the box sides with the stake pockets pre-welded on them, how well they are sealed inside the pockets and in the pinch welds against rust. I am moving the truck close to the Ocean and I want to ensure rust prevention is a top priority. Anyone have any advice on the quality of the pre-welded box sides? How well are they coated inside the pockets?
Any buyers regrets?

Last edited:

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There are no pictures to post for the question I asked. It requires someone with knowledge of the bedsides and stake pockets. If you read my post you should come to the conclusion I don't have the pre spot welded type. In a nutshell the OEM boxes come with stake pockets that are bolted on, the new aftermarket bedsides have them already welded on. Which leads me to my question for the group. C'mon man...

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It would help if you had some pictures of your truck.
Or your girlfriend maybe.
How does it help to provide pictures of a aftermarket part I don't own? You obviously can't contribute but you feel compelled to have me post pictures even though it doesn't help. I can't post pictures because I'm overseas and my trucks is in the USA. I'f you can't help please just move along.

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've had this truck since 1986. It's not polite questioning peoples integrity.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No experience with that part but wouldn't think that's it's any different than any other part of the truck that's made with two pieces stamped/ spot welded together. I think if its prepped and painted properly and maintained, you'd be good for life.

Did something happen to your truck to necessitate replacement? In the pictures, the truck looks great. I wish I could find a rear bumper like that for a fleetside.

And of course, based on the windshield sticker and license plate frame, thank you for your service!

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No experience with that part but wouldn't think that's it's any different than any other part of the truck that's made with two pieces stamped/ spot welded together. I think if its prepped and painted properly and maintained, you'd be good for life.

Did something happen to your truck to necessitate replacement? In the pictures, the truck looks great. I wish I could find a rear bumper like that for a fleetside.

And of course, based on the windshield sticker and license plate frame, thank you for your service!

I've been through two wood beds in the last 20 years. Heat and humidity has caused them all to crack and varnish to lift. Last floor I noticed some rust under the wood around the corners. I'm looking into replacing it with the new aluminum with vinyl to solve that. New parts with fresh coatings seems to be the best way to prevent rust in my opinion. I've had it with me at Parris Island and 29 Palms. Before it comes to Japan I got to go through it.

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

This is what I was thinking about replacing it with.
https://www.smokeyroadrodshop.com/index.html

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Damn, that’s a nice looking truck

Blair Bakke

Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

The rear bumper is actually aftermarket for a mid-80's Ranger. The OEM Chevy rear bumpers are way too wide and don't look right at on Step or Fleet side trucks at all. I would recommend searching for a replacement to fit that vehicle around that time and fabricate the brackets to fit. I don't remember having any ass pain mounting it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:rolleyes:
I dont believe you even got a truck. Nobody does.
I’d normally chalk this up to drunk posting, but given the time of day you posted, benefit of the doubt goes to just being a jerk....